Please sign in to post.

breakfast in Munich?

Our hotel breakfast is way too expensive, can you recommend breakfast spots in or near Munich's Viktualien Markt? Thanks!

Posted by
328 posts

Schmalznudel - Cafe Frischhut has some of the most yummy donut type pastries. I would highly recommend it. Now I want a Schmalznudel!!!

Posted by
19052 posts

When we were staying near Sendlinger Tor, we discovered a great little pastry shop for breakfast, called Wörner's Cafe. I see they have another branch 3/10 mile from Viktualienmarkt, on the west end of Marienplatz. I even saw someone at the Sendlingen Tor shop eating what I would call a typical American breakfast (fried eggs and bacon). I would recommend your checking it out.

Or switch your hotel to one like Pension-Lindner, with free breakfast buffet.

Posted by
7448 posts

Head down to Schneider Brauhaus, the classic would be a pot of weisswurst, pretzels, and a hefeweissen beer, but they have a couple other options as well.

Posted by
32171 posts

Steve,

Which hotel are you staying at? I don't recall breakfasts being charged separately at the hotels I usually stay at in Munich (Hotel Uhland or Hotel Royal). They've always been provided in the cost of the room. I've found the hotel breakfasts in Munich to be among the best in Europe, and after a meal like that, I can usually dispense with lunch.

Posted by
14481 posts

That must be a 5 star hotel. The highest I've paid was 17 Euro in Vienna at a 4 star. The 4 stars are shown on the hotel's entrance door. Normally I pay from 5 Euro to 12. If it's 12 Euro, then that is at a 3 star hotel.

Posted by
19637 posts

Mickey D's is just off the Viktualien Markt. Try the Egg McMuffin. I bet it costs less than the same item in the US.
I do like the idea of a weisswurst with mustard and glass of beer. Don't eat the skin.

Posted by
19052 posts

Charging for breakfast is more common in Munich (and other large cities) than in small town Germany. I stayed in a hotel in Munich where the room was less then 100€, but breakfast was another 6 or 8 euro pP, but there are a lot of smaller hotels (ex. Lindner) in Munich that do include breakfast in the price.. I find breakfast extra more common in very expensive hotels, where the price with breakfast would be so outrageously high that they leave breakfast off the price. I think once they suck you in with a lower price, they more than compensate with a ridiculously high rate for breakfast.

Breakfast at hotels at Frankfurt airport seem to be 36€ for a single room or 26€ pP for a double room. For Hotel Cortina, which is near Viktualien Markt, and might be the hotel in which the OP is staying, a simple breakfast during the week is 24,50€ pP; the buffet on Sunday is 39€ pP.

If you book the Bayerischer Hof through one of the booking websites, a "continental" breakfast is not included and is an extra $47 (41€) pP.

Posted by
2308 posts

You might want to give a try to one of the Cafés of the long-stablished Munich bakery Rischart. One is on a terrace above the Viktualienmarkt, the other at Marienplatz and a third one in the historical Maut (toll building) in the Neuhauser Strasse (between Marienplatz and stachus).