Please sign in to post.

Black Forest train

Thinking of taking the train from Frieberg thru Offenberg to Konstanz. I understand it is thru the most scenic area of the Black Forest. Is it worth the day of a pretty full trip? A scenic rest time?

Posted by
19092 posts

Freiburg via Offenburg to Konstanz is not the most efficient way to get from Freiburg to Konstanz, but if you want to see the Schwarzwaldbahn, that's the way to do it. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I have chosen that route on two occasions and have no regrets.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks Lee. I was wondering if it was worth the day to take the train thru the Black Forest for the views on the way to Konstanz. (My daughter is interested in the Black Forest) or to skip it this trip. And save it when I could spend time and explore the area?

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Carla,
I can't help you on this one, but just wanted to ask if you'd mind posting your thoughts on it when you return? This trip is one I have always wanted to take myself. I'm a huge advocate for train travel as the most scenic way to get around and have heard nothing but good things about the Black Forest. I can imagine there wouldn't be a much better way to spend a day, and as you say, treat it as a rest day :-)

Posted by
19092 posts

In the late 80s I traveled from Konstanz to Freiburg via Donaueschingen in order to make a stop in Titisee-Neustadt. I found Titisee to be quaint and attractive, albeit very touristy at the time.

In 2002, I traveled from Offenburg to Donaueschingen (and on to Sigmaringen) via the Schwarzwaldbahn. The part of the Schwarzwaldbahn from Hausach to Triberg, along the Gutachtal (river valley) was quite spectacular (it was a sunny day with fresh snow on the ground from the day before). I made the same trip again in the fall of 2013. If you are not in a hurry to get to Konstanz, I would recommend it (it looks like it only takes about 3¼ hours, 40 min longer than via Titisee).

If you think you have plenty of time, you should consider visiting the Vogtsbauernhof (Black Forest Open Air Museum) in Gutach, a recreated village with typical farm houses from the Black Forest. There is an hourly train (takes 3 min) from the station in Hausach to the village, as well as occasional buses.