Please sign in to post.

black forest

OK...bingo....I got reservations for the Gastoff Hirsch in Gengenbach. My goal. Expect Konus card. So , what destinations on the black forest train?

Posted by
1559 posts

Depending on how much time you have. I'm no expert on the rail system but what I'd consider is 1) Take an early, slow train, via Donaueschingen, to spend the day in Freiburg. 2)Take the fast train to Bad Krozingen, walk along the stream - one hour, flat and pleasant - to Staufen, a delightful village with vineyards and a ruin up the hill. 3) Baden-Baden is worth a day if it is included in the rail pass. Some rail experts will likely chip in.

Places I've visited and liked: Endingen (small, pretty town, not sure if it is technically in the Black Forest), the villages of Schiltach, Loffingen and Sankt Blasien, hiking around Schluchsee and the Wutach Gorge. The hills are nice around Durbach and Munstertal. You may want to walk the Triberg falls, the town itself is not much to write home about. Not overly familiar with places east and north of Gengenbach, apart from Freudenstadt - it is famous for the size of it's market place, though not overly interesting in itself: however, there was an excellent brewpub on the square when I visited. Strasbourg is worth a visit across the border, you may incur an extra charge by rail?

Posted by
19100 posts

Just beyond the town of Hausach, in Gutach, is the Freilichtmuseum, a collection of houses from all over the Black Forest.

I'm not a gambler, and I think the spa in Baden-Baden is too sanitized, so I am not thrilled by Baden-Baden. When I was there I walked up a very glitzy street, kind of their version of Rodeo Drive. Also not impressive. I prefer towns in the interior of the Black Forest (Bad Herrenalb, Freudenstadt, Alpirsbach, Calw, Bad Wildbad) to Baden-Baden.

I'd also go to Donaueschingen and walk down to the park that is the headwaters of the Danube, one of Europe's great rivers, but I wouldn't bother with Freiburg.

Posted by
1559 posts

"When I was there I walked up a very glitzy street" - Lee is right about that particular street, I have a photo of myself on an actual red carpet, striking a dramatic pose. I spent a day in Baden-Baden and mostly enjoyed the walk through the Lichtentaler Alley (park) to the village of Lichtental, which had an outdoor market on the day I was there (Thursday??). There is some pleasant hiking behind the Kurhaus and one of the spas. It was full of Russians when I visited, not enough to ruin my day.

Posted by
5697 posts

Don't forget that Konus card is NOT applicable for ICE trains -- conductor will charge you full price if you're on the wrong train.

Posted by
211 posts

I just scored 5 nights in gengenbach. The Gasthof Hirsch became available. Now, I can spend a full day in Strasbourg, a full day in Basel, leaving two days to use the konus card. So , although I have studied alternatives, I would like to focus on the Black Forest train route and its potential. Thanks to responders...still open to your thoughts

Posted by
4008 posts

Spend the day in Freiburg im Breisgau, a university town (city) incorporated in the 12th Century. The Freiburg Cathedral is beautiful as it is a combination of Romanesque & Gothic architecture.

Posted by
20192 posts

You can go to Triberg on the Black Forest Railway. It is cuckoo clock central and yes, a tad touristy. That is how they make their living. Take the bus from the train station in the valley up to the main town.

Posted by
44 posts

So, if I understand correctly, it is possible to stay in Gengenbach 4 or 5 nights and do day trips to other towns with the Konus Card? If I do this, will I get a good feel for Black Forest /Bavarian region? We saw three towns we might be interested in seeing. Can you get to Basel and Villigen and Schiltach by doing day trips? Or. . . would it be better to stay 2 nights and move on to another town as a base and stay there for a couple of nights? We want to see this region before we go back to Hamburg to begin the RS Best of Germany Tour on May 21st. We don't really want to rent a car and drive. We are willing use buses and trains for transportation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
32834 posts

yes you can, but as said above the KONUS is not valid on the fast trains. It would take a while by regional train from Gengenbach (change Offenburg) to Basel Bad Bf.

Posted by
211 posts

On my last trip, I drove thru the black forest. The Triberg falls are worth the walk, the village is quaint. Alpirsbach has a great brewery and several excellent restaurants...I would return. The folk museum is well worth the trip. You need several hours to enjoy all the buildings. I love the Black Forest.