Please sign in to post.

Best Hotel in Dusseldorf

We are headed to Dusseldorf for the Christmas markets right after Christmas. We love quaint accommodations but we have a party of 5 big American sized adults that can split up (ideally) between 2 rooms. Sometimes quaint just doesn't fit my 6'4" husband so we aren't locked into quaint and/or historic. Any suggestions of clean, quaint places that sleep 3 to a room and maybe centrally located? I think we can grab a Dusseldorf card for trains if it isn't centrally located? Thanks so much!

Posted by
32517 posts

I put your requirements into the hotel mentioned above.

Next Tuesday they have a suite available for 5 with 2 bedrooms. It was the only choice offered. It isn't clear if breakfast is included. The price for one night is €9,270. That also includes free cancellation up to 24 hours out. They call it the Presidential Suite.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you! Unfortunately that is a little out of my price range. Looks lovely!

Posted by
7181 posts

Next time you post, I suggest that you think about how your question can be misinterpreted. "Best" could mean anything from "Best for my tall family" to "Best Budget hotel... " or "Best Imperialist luxury five-star." But the word "Best" alone in a Subject line is very misleading.

A few years ago, I stayed at Derag Livinghotel De Medici Muhlenstr. 31 Duesseldorf NW 1-866-599-6674. This was a gut-renovated upper-level business hotel in a superb location. I think it was once an old mansion, but it could have been a business of some kind. My room had a strange layout, but was very comfortable without remotely approaching a five-star. However, the (extra, I think) breakfast was five-star, including a cooler of Sekt wine.

Note that there is another Derag hotel which gets much weaker reviews than the one I named above.

I don't know where the Christmas markets (if open ...) are, but I certainly walked to the Altstadt a few times. I certainly needed underground trains to see the rest of the city, to get from the airport, and so on.

It's mostly about other cities, but my trip report has a subhead mentioning Dusseldorf:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/baltic-germany-fachwerke-landesgartenschau