Please sign in to post.

Berlin vs Munich?

Just trying to decide between Berlin & Munich? We've been told both are must-do places but we are limited on time. Traveling with 3 "kids" ages 21 & 24. What are your thoughts?
Thank you!

Posted by
345 posts

We liked Berlin far more than Munich because we're very interested in World War 2 history.

Posted by
6918 posts

Without any other context info about the rest of your planned route, I would say Berlin. Especially with young adults, it's "cooler" than Munich. And more historically significant in my opinion!

Posted by
2295 posts

Never ask a Berliner for a neutral statement on that question. ;-)

Vote for Berlin, also especially for your young adults.

Posted by
7688 posts

Both are great cities. I love vanilla and chocolate ice cream just like I love both cities.

Berlin needs more time to see. Love the Pergamum Museum. Munich has nearby places to visit like Garmish/Fussen and Berchtesgaden/Salzburg. Also, Herrenchiemsee Palace.

Posted by
8950 posts

Berlin, hands down!
10 times more interesting than Munich. For young adults and for old adults.

Posted by
598 posts

There is more to see/do in Berlin than in Munich.
Been twice to Berlin and would go again.

Posted by
7040 posts

I've been to both for 5 days each and loved them both, would be happy going back to both. Plenty to see and do in both with good day trips from each. However, with young adults I would definitely recommend Berlin.

Posted by
202 posts

A few questions:
1) what are your interests?
2) is the city you choose the only city you’re visiting?
3) How many days?
4) what time of year?

Just visited both of these cities in March and my very favorite experience was a soccer match in Munich (FC Bayern Munich). That said, Berlin was the more interesting, more entertaining visit. More to see and do. It’s no knock on Munich, which was also a lot of fun. Berlin competes with just about any city I’ve been to, including “biggies” like Rome, Paris, London.

Posted by
80 posts

Munich is more charming IMO. Berlin for interest in more recent history, Munich for past centuries.

If you are limited on time you won't be able to do and see everything that either city has to offer, so although Berlin is much larger and offers more sights/things to do that should not be a criterion.

And advantage of Munich is that - if time allows - you can make a day trip to the Alps (Garmisch/Zugspitze).

Posted by
470 posts

Berlin. No contest.

Munich has things to see and do like any city would, but its big appeal is as a gateway to the Alps. Berlin is like no other city and has SO MANY unique things to see and do, it has such a great vibe. History, night life, museums of all kinds, landmarks . . . .

Posted by
1 posts

Both Munich and Berlin are great to visit, but if you are short on time, then it's better to pick one city to explore.
Berlin is much bigger than Munich and more diverse. Munich, on the other hand, has a lot of nice parks, beer gardens, and beautiful castles.
Here is a detailed comparison between Munich and Berlin:
https://www.bigworldshortstories.com/munich-vs-berlin/

Hopefully, it will help you to choose which city to visit.

Posted by
13 posts

Been to both several times. Both are great but if you can only do 1, it's Berlin for me without a doubt. Berlin has a lot more to see and do. If you are interested in WW2 or Cold War history, Berlin cannot be beat. Berlin also has far superior nightlife if that is of interest to you or the kids. If you need specifics, let me know.