Please sign in to post.

Berlin or Prague

We are planning our honeymoon and trying to get a schedule. Things may change as we still have over a year till we plan on taking our honeymoon. But I am a planner for things like this.

So we have the ability to do 2 night in one of the cities. Which do you think would be best? We plan on starting in Munich and driving around Germany. Trying to keep it at 17 days not including travel. We definitely want to hit up Zermatt. And with all the things on our itinerary, I think it's going to be hard to do both cities.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted by
26840 posts

Two nights is one day. That's not nearly enough time in either Prague or Berlin, but I guess it's a bit less ludicrous for Prague. On the other hand, your travel time to and from Prague will probably be longer since you are spending some of your time in Germany. I suspect that you could use those two nights in one (or two) of the places already on your itinerary.

To me, Berlin and Prague are quite different destinations. Prague is gorgeous. Berlin is more about the museums and historical sights. It was devastated during the war.

What time of year will you be taking your trip?

Posted by
87 posts

May of next year. Really gonna get 1.5 days. Get there early from Munich.

No doubt that 1 day isn’t enough. Hoping 1.5 days. We hit the main things. And relax a bit.

We did Paris in a day. It was rough. First train in and last train out. London was nice cause we just relaxed and walked.

Posted by
2090 posts

Month May will make both cities pretty; and both are absolutely worth traveling.

With 1 day only you would see more of Prague than of Berlin but with 1 day walk or HoHo bus tour you can check a lot of Berlin's highlights, minimum from outside. In variety of culture, food and history Berlin is more or less unbeatable in Europe, e.g. no city in the world has 3 opera houses plus 2 houses for classical music in parallel operation. No million-people city was over decades part of not only two countries but frontline of two different political systems and finally in no place of the world three world wars were co-started; knowing that only two were named that way by the press initially (not a naming of historians). So, nothing against beautiful Prague but Berlin is by far more unique with history, culture and sights.

My conclusion: It is easier to state visiting Europe and Germany without staying in Prague than without staying in Berlin :-)

Posted by
14482 posts

Hi,

Given a choice of choosing between these two cities only, I would then ask what are your priorities. . There are lovely areas in both cities.

If you don't have any pressing priorities and are under this time limit, then I would vote for Prague so that the next time around, presumably with more time, you could that to Berlin. My first time in Berlin, then westBerlin in 1971, was for 5 nights.

Posted by
87 posts

Originally it was to see the top 10 castles. Then we got a little bold and added a quick stop to those 2 cities. But that was a little too long of a trip. So we cut out a few castles. Still a little lengthy, when wanting to end in Munich for 3-4 nights. Zermatt is really throwing in the wrench, it’s just so far out of the way.

After trying to plan last night, I wanna hit up Rothenburg and the eagles nest. Thinking of keep the trip to southern Germany. Skipping both cities. And maybe still getting Zermatt in.

The alps are my thing. Don’t ski but, love the beauty. I love history. Specially the castles and of course war history. 14-16 days seems like a long time. But, really isn’t. Also don’t wanna Run the entire time. For lack of better words, I wanna stop and smell the roses.

Posted by
7595 posts

You would probably same on travel by skipping both cities for this trip.

Switzerland is beautiful, but very expensive compared to the surrounding countries of Germany, Austria, Italy and France.

Definitely do the Romantic Road. There are many medieval walled cities that were not bombed or bombed little in WWII.
All the major cities in Germany were seriously bombed. In many large Germany cities the buildings that you see are rebuilt, not the original.

Posted by
87 posts

Definitely thinking the romantic road. The thing with Zermatt is, it’s not a place that I would go to by itself. I wanna see the Matterhorn, but don’t ski.

Most likely will keep it a southern Germany trip. And just do a North trip in a few years.

Back to the planning board.

Thank you.

Posted by
2023 posts

I hope you will be able to see the Matterhorn. It is notorious for being shrouded in cloud coverage but certainly impressive but it stands alone and would be underwhelming compared to the Jungfrau and that area of Switzerland.