Please sign in to post.

Berlin or Munich?

Hi all, going to Germany in September----only have a limited time of approx 2days to "see" Berlin or Munich---not really interested in drinking lots of beer (although we do like a wine now and again. )More interested in the sights and maybe an art gallery or two----any ideas on which city to visit?

Posted by
14499 posts

Hi,

Only two days for either Berlin or Munich? What a choice? If that's the case, then it's Berlin absolutely. Have at least one local brew in Berlin....a Berliner Weisse preferably with red, but that's your choice.

Posted by
2393 posts

Berlin - no contest! They've an island full of museums!

Posted by
103 posts

I was just in Munich which is smaller for 2 days, good old and new museums, English gardens, churches, and of course HB house. Octoberfest starts mid Sept.

Posted by
8938 posts

Berlin is the hands down winner, though 2 days is awfully short since there is so much to see or do there. You don't say where else you are going, or where you are arriving from or departing to. That might make a difference to your plan.

Posted by
12040 posts

Where are you coming from and where are you going to? If most of one of those "two days" would get consumed in transit, then I would just go to the most convenient city for your overall trip.

Posted by
46 posts

Hi all, (again)---thanks very much for the speedy replies,and to add to the mix,our plan is as follows, we fly into Vienna and have approx 10 days travelling thru Austria finishing in Innsbruck.
Then into Germany for 18 days.
We have been before to Nuremberg and Regensburg (along the Danube) so thought this time---Black forest area---Rhine valley and Moselle river area ( a friend advised to look at Koblenz)--Munich/Berlin (one or the other or now maybe both??? We fly back to Australia out of Frankfurt.
We can hire a car or do the train--whichever works best---we do like to see the countryside and villages and as I said drink some local wines and sample the local food.
We are not trying to see everything in 18 days and will stay for several nights in the one spot to do day trips to local areas.(hence my original question of only Munich or Berlin)-----I guess I wouldn't like to get back all the way to Australia without seeing Berlin!!
Any advise would be appreciated----if I can reciprocate any day about anything Australian just let me know.

Posted by
12040 posts

With 18 days in Germany, you have more than enough time to fit in both Munich and Berlin. Especially because you're coming from Austria, Munich is very convenient.

Posted by
11294 posts

Just so you know, you are asking the German equivalent of "Sydney or Melbourne?" Some people like both Berlin and Munich, some like one but not the other, some love one but find the other just OK, etc. But the key thing to understand is that they are VERY different.

For me, I've been to Berlin three times and would love to go back. I've been to Munich once, and while I would hardly refuse to go back (especially to see more of the Deutsches Museum), I don't feel any particular draw. But that's just me.

Posted by
16893 posts

Either city could easily keep you busy for several days. Berlin is the more exciting, with tons of renewal since the wall came down, but no shortage of history, either. I'd want to spend 4 nights/3 days in Berlin if possible, and at least a full day in Munich.

Posted by
46 posts

Hi All, Thanks again for the replies--Both cities it is. As seems to be the general consenus of opinion, we will spend more time in Berlin --Thanks again