Please sign in to post.

Berlin or Munich

Hi. Like lots of people I want to go to holiday markets. I was thinking of stationing in Berlin and doing a few day trips to Dresden and others but I’m reading Munich is great for markets. I have been to Munich but not Berlin. Are the markets so much better in Munich that it warrants a second visit or would Berlin give me a good taste of the markets too ? Thanks.

Posted by
2267 posts

Assuming that you mean Christmas markets Berlin offers a large number and variety of markets, some good ones also only for a few days.

"better" is a question of taste. Markets in Bavaria are often more confessional oriented but entertainment, food and craftmanship are comparable as long as you do not decide for a fully entertainment oriented market. Also Brandenburg around Berlin offers interesting markets (German overview page).

Posted by
238 posts

"Confessional oriented"? "Fully entertainment oriented market"? Please explain/elaborate Mark.

Years ago there was a vegan Christmas market listed for Berlin. I have been unable to find the listing and was wondering if it has survived. Any idea?

Thanks,
Donna

Posted by
2267 posts

Confessional oriented

You will find much more religious pieces of craftmanship, e. g. crosses or sculptures with religious background. Also the "Christkindl" topic and the Christmas story are more reflected with scene plays or decorated stables.

Fully entertainment oriented market

A few markets tend to be more a Kirmes / Rummel (funfair) with lots of fun rides which do not have any connection to Christmas at all.

Hope that this explanation helps.

Posted by
2267 posts

The vegan Christmas market survived but at a different locaton (link).
When I remember right it was at Alte Münze close to Alexanderplatz.

Posted by
67 posts

If you have to time in Munich, store your luggage at the airport, then, after buying your MVV pass for the trains/bus/trams, take a bus/S bahn to Freising. Freising is much older than Munich, has its own Christmas market and the oldest brewery in the world (take the bus from the train depot in Freising to Weihenstephan brewery) ! Later you can take the bus/S bahn back to the airport, collect your luggage and take the S1/S8 to your hotel. Munich has several Christmas markets throughout the city. One of my favorites is the Medival Market at:

www.mittelaltermarkt-muenchen.de

I have never been to Berlin but I really enjoy Munich!