Please sign in to post.

Berlin Itinerary

Hey Guys,

You've been very helpful about my Germany itinerary, now I'm seeking more detailed itinerary critique/suggestions first in Berlin (1. Again, it's me, my wife and our then 6-month daughter. We will also split from time to time to do some shows (the other stays with the baby then) but mostly will be with the baby. Would love to get your thoughts. It would be great to hear insider thoughts of things outside of RS books

Day 0
arrive in Berlin at night (no plans)
Day 1
Hop-on hop off bus (might be jet lagged still so something easy)
part of Rick Steves walk (if we feel like)
Day 2
Reichestag (shall we reserve now? (3 months in advance)
Do Rick Steves walk (all of it or whatever is left)
German Historical Museum
Boat tour
Day 3
Postdam
Food tour at night/evening
Day 4
Topography of terror and around
Day 5
open day (leave to Dresden midday)

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
3 posts

We recently did a similar time in Berlin. We did one day focused on the Cold War: Berlin Wall Memorial, Checkpoint Charlie Museum and the real hidden gem of Teufelsberg.

Posted by
5697 posts

Have you tried out the "one stays with the baby" routine ?? Sounds like a recipe for resentment to me. And not that much fun for the person touring alone -- unless you each have things to do that the other dislikes.
But some hotels can provide or recommend babysitters who can come to your room (for instance, during the food tour.)
Good list of things to do. Just don't be disappointed if you only get to half of them.

Posted by
8934 posts

I would go on a good walking tour instead of a hoho bus. Walking gets you over jet lag, listening to a taped recording while you sit in a traffic jam will put you to sleep. You just spent a lot of money to get to Berlin, learn something about the city while you are here. A good tour will show you all the highlights of the city while giving you perspectives on life in Berlin with some history tossed in and a live guide who can answer your questions. My personal recommendation is for Insider Tours.

Potsdam may wear you out for the day, perhaps do that instead of the boat tour? There is so much to see here. Put the boat tour onto one of the other days. It does not take all day to see the Reichstag nor the Topography of Terror. Yes, book your time in the Reichstag as soon as possible.

Posted by
54 posts

We recently did a similar time in Berlin. We did one day focused on the Cold War: Berlin Wall Memorial, Checkpoint Charlie Museum and the real hidden gem of Teufelsberg.

Thanks i think that might be part of day 4 or 5

Have you tried out the "one stays with the baby" routine ?? Sounds like a recipe for resentment to me. And not that much fun for the person touring alone -- unless you each have things to do that the other dislikes.
But some hotels can provide or recommend babysitters who can come to your room (for instance, during the food tour.)
Good list of things to do. Just don't be disappointed if you only get to half of them.

We did talk about it, we would go to most places together but no hard feelings if one feels like staying with the baby instead of going to one of the museums for example. My original plan was getting a babysitter, but my wife is very against it (we haven't gotten a baby sitter for her yet so maybe once we do she will trust more)

I would go on a good walking tour instead of a hoho bus. Walking gets you over jet lag, listening to a taped recording while you sit in a traffic jam will put you to sleep. You just spent a lot of money to get to Berlin, learn something about the city while you are here. A good tour will show you all the highlights of the city while giving you perspectives on life in Berlin with some history tossed in and a live guide who can answer your questions. My personal recommendation is for Insider Tours.

Thanks, any specific insider tour you recommend?

Potsdam may wear you out for the day, perhaps do that instead of the boat tour? There is so much to see here. Put the boat tour onto one of the other days. It does not take all day to see the Reichstag nor the Topography of Terror. Yes, book your time in the Reichstag as soon as possible.

Great idea doing the food tour on the day I was gonna do the Boat tour, right?