Please sign in to post.

Berlin hotel

Any suggestions for where to stay in Berlin for a quick visit? Will hotels accommodate three people (my husband and I and our adult daughter)? We're thinking of staying in the Charlottenburg area or near Tiergarten. Any advice?
Thank you!
Rochelle

Posted by
20151 posts

I'd start with Pension Peters. They can put 3 in a double room with an extra bed or you can book a family room that has more space. Very friendly small hotel in a nice Charlottenburg neighborhood, easy local transport, good breakfast.
http://www.pension-peters-berlin.de/en

Posted by
85 posts

I'm not the original poster, but this hotel looks great! Just talked to husband & friend about a trip (probably not until 2018) that will include a few days in Berlin. Sat down this morning to start my research & found this post! I'm interested in the family room as we will have 1 of our kids with us & maybe 2. That would be perfect. Thanks!

Posted by
13 posts

Hi, I'm the original person who posted. Pension Peters looks really nice. And the family room would be perfect for us. I like the idea of a small, friendly hotel. Thank you so much for suggesting it!
Rochelle

Posted by
7036 posts

I stayed at Pension Peters in 2014 and loved it. Great location, close to two U-bahn stations so it's easy to get anywhere quickly and easily, good breakfasts, nice management and staff. Highly recommend it.

Posted by
2252 posts

I just booked a couple of rooms at Pension Peters for 10 days in May. The staff could not have been more helpful and pleasant. I chose this pension based on RS forum and some trip advisor reviews, all of which were glowing (as you can see!). We are looking forward to our stay in Berlin with them.

Posted by
32212 posts

Another vote for Pension Peters. It's in a nice location, the rooms are very comfortable and the staff are great.

There are lots of tourist amenities in that area. If you want a pint and some pub grub, Dicke Wirtin's Pub is right across the street. Schwarze's Cafe is a few doors down from the Pension (open 24 hours as I recall), and there's a cluster of restaurants within about a 5 minute walk near the Savignyplatz S-Bahn station. For transportation, Bahnhof Zoo is only about a 10 minute walk (that's also where some of the Berlin Walks tours depart from).

Posted by
13 posts

Great to have all this feedback. I just booked a family room at Pension Peters. A few questions. Travelers, do you pay cash or pay a fee for using MasterCard or Visa? Anyone use Cirrus or Maestro cards?
Since you were all so helpful with a hotel, suggestions for favorite restaurants?
Thank you. Rochelle

Posted by
20151 posts

Uwe (hotel owner) charges 3 % (as I recall) for credit card payment. He gave me an earful regarding credit card fees and payment delays when I was there. He gives all his guests a 10 minute Berlin orientation chat after check-in, regarding local transport, local restaurants, sights, etc. The Dicke Wirtin is one of his favorites, and it is a short walk away for traditional Berlin chow. The name is Berlin dialect for "The Fat Lady". There is also a 24-7 restaurant just a few doors down the street if you are night owls (Schwarzes Cafe). Lots of other choices and Uwe will fill you in.

Posted by
14533 posts

"...pay a fee for using MC or Visa?" Not in Germany I haven't had that experience. Since I know my Pension proprietor in Berlin prefers cash, I pay her in cash, simple as that. If it doesn't matter, ie, no mention of it made (such as the Pension in Munich), then I pay with the credit card. The only place where I have encountered the extra 2 to 4% when paying with a credit card is in London at B&Bs and a few pubs. Staying in Berlin-Charlottenburg is a good choice if you prefer staying in the western area, I stay at a Pension in Charlottenburg but not at Peters. The area is very convenient as regards to lateral transportation on the S-Bahn going to Potsdam or to Köpenick.

Posted by
28 posts

I am also traveling with my family (5 people, 3 teens) next summer. Any other suggestions for pensions in Berlin. I am certainly going to check out Pension Peters. Thanks for the feedback!

Posted by
993 posts

We are staying at ApartHotel Residenz Am Deutschen Theater after Xmas in a family room. I will try to remember to come back and tell you how it was!

Kim

Posted by
262 posts

I like Priceline for Berlin. My last hotel not long ago was Eurostars Berlin - five star, very good location at $82.00 per night.