Please sign in to post.

Berlin food tours

We will be in Berlin for 4 days and would like to take a food tour. I would appreciate any recommendations. The last post about food tours was 2021 and is outdated. Thank you.

Posted by
541 posts

This post has sat for several days without a reply. I was tempted to make a comment when it was first posted, but now I will. Berlin is not what I would describe as a "foodie "town. There are plenty of good restaurants , but what is the local cuisine? Would you go for Eisbein mit kraut, or fried herring with potato's and linseed oil?
I found a local obsession over Curry Wurst and Donner Kabab offering almost on every corner. My one time favorite, shashlik, must be sought out.
Go, enjoy, do your food tours in Italy.

Posted by
541 posts

Perhaps look here through old posts for recommendations. Also look at reviews and try to see if they offer anything that interests you. I was not overwhelmed enough by any place we ate that I would make a recommendation. The food we had was good, but it was never great. The style of food we were interested in was often being served in places that attracted other tourists. My local relatives were not as particular as we are so the places they loved and recommended were (in our opinion) good but not great.
We have found the food in other parts of Germany to be far superior. We had a simple sausage and brotchen from a cart for lunch yesterday that was off the charts fabulous. You never know what you will find.

Posted by
933 posts

I had really excellent Wiener schnitzel at the Einstein restaurant on Unter den Linden (which has, at best, mediocre reviews). Also a terrific vegetarian curry for lunch at Indisches Restaurant Taj near the Brohan Museum in Charlottenburg.

Other meals in the city were unremarkable. I agree that Berlin is not particularly a food city. But I had no trouble finding decent meals there.

Posted by
687 posts

One of the best food tours I've ever taken was in the Mitte in Berlin. Sadly it appears the company went out of business during Covid.

Posted by
14758 posts

Berlin is international when it comes various cuisines, regardless if you're after ethnic, Chinese, (the different varieties ), Vietnamese, Turkish, Persian or European, Japanese , Greek, French, Czech, American, German , eastern German, ie east of the Elbe, you name it you're likely to find it.

Two places offering traditional German cuisine I can recommend, they're located in the eastern part of the city.

1. "Zur letzten Instanz", walkable from Alexanderplatz, the oldest in Berlin. I've eaten there a couple of times. Very recommendable if you want Brandenburg-Prussian traditional cuisine.

2. "Mutter Hoppe" not too far from Alexanderplatz, still walkable but closer to Nikolaiviertel. Expect these 2 to be crowded at dinner.

The restaurant I tried finding but didn't was the Marinehaus Restaurant , also in the east near Jannowitzbrücke , all the more so since it has a reputation of being unfriendly /rude to Americans and anti-American. When I heard about that, I thought I have to go there.

Posted by
14758 posts

For more choices in German and Italian cuisine in Berlin , go out to the neighborhoods of Ostkreuz and Warschauer Strasse, along with Koepenick en route to the Rathaus (city hall) and a bit beyond to Schloss Koepenick .

Posted by
558 posts

I enjoyed Alt-Berliner Gasthaus Julchen Hoppe for both good German food and good beer http://julchenhoppe.de/. Most of the patrons on a Monday evening in February were German and the restaurant was nearly full. It's near the Marx-Engels Forum. There are lots of restaurants in the area if you like walking around, looking at menus.

Posted by
14758 posts

@ jkh....Thanks for recommendation. I didn't know of this establishment located in the Nikolaiviertel

"Julchen Hoppe" looks like an absolutely fantastic place given the menu offerings of traditional old time Berlin cuisine with calf liver, Eisbein, etc and those beers, including my favourite Berliner Weiße with red.

Will most definitely go there next summer.

Posted by
558 posts

Berliner Weiße with red

@Fred.
I am an avid beer tourist. In my most recent Berlin visit I had a chance to drink a berlinerweisse with raspbery at https://www.lemke.berlin/. I am not a huge fan of wheat, sour, and flavored beers, yet their's was quite good. While at Lemke I learned that this style was the beer of Berlin in the mid-19th century.

Posted by
14758 posts

@ jkh....Thanks for that interesting link.

Berliner Weiße is the obviously particular Berlin beer. It is one of the famous ones produced by Schutheiss. Berliner Weiße is one of the reasons one goes to Berlin, if one drinks beer at all.

I had my first one with that shot of raspberry syrup (red) in July of 1971 during this first visit to (West) Berlin. So, when I decide to order a Berliner Weiße, and am asked , " rot oder grün ? " my answer is "rot."

Posted by
541 posts

When I read that a Weisser is a reason to visit Berlin, that gets me off the porch. I remember my first from about 1963. I was at the zoo with my grandparents. They ordered one for me that I drank most of. It was a green one, my personal favorite. I do not like the red as much.
I just returned from nearly a week in Berlin, and my Weisser count was zero. Although I can appreciate someone enjoying the novelty of the drink, I would never consider it to be worth going out of my way for. I drank (while in Berlin) a host of Kindles and Schultheiss, and I enjoyed them all. To put this in perspective, I would also never consider a diesel or a Radler preferring instead to drink one of the excellent non-alcoholic options that are available (Bitte ein Bit for example).
If you are in Berlin, I recommend you track down a good RatzePutz or a Kummel to quaff along with your Pils.

Posted by
2844 posts

Just to separate the namings to prevent confusion:

• Berliner Weisse (Weiße) is a sort of beer. It is a regional and seasonal consumed product.
  • Weisser (Weißer), aka Federweisser, is a cloudy pre-product of white wine. Also regional and seasonal, people like it with Flammkuchen.

Berliner Weiße might not be a reason to visit Berlin but after consuming enough it is a reason to move the departure for one day.

Posted by
14758 posts

I agree on the Radler and would not consider that either.

Posted by
541 posts

Thank you Mark for clarifying. I should have been more clear about that. And yes, enough of those can change your trajectory. A Ratzeputz will also, but far more quickly.
It turns out that long ago my great grandfather was employed by Schultheiss. His job was driving a team of horses to deliver wagon loads of beer. I feel a familial obligation to try and drink as much of it as possible whenever I visit.
I avoid the Kummel. I have memories of a very seriously intoxicated night at my grandfather's garden, cigars, Kummel and beer. These are an unhealthy combination.