Please sign in to post.

Berlin Apartments Mitte, Chausee Strasse 107

Hi, this may be a long shot, but has anyone stayed here? Wife and I are booked for 5 nights in June, and are wondering if any of the apartments are particularly quieter or noisier at night than the others. As Old(er) People Who Need Their Rest, we always try for the best sleeping arrangements we can manage, and this far out I might be able to request for or against specific apartments. Thank you

Posted by
2231 posts

Never stayed there but want to share my impression.

These apartments (incl. website) miss an official registration number from state of Berlin which means that they are likely used illegal for touristic purposes. An indicator is also that there is no clear firm name announced on the website and the legal mandatory impressum including business register number is missing.

All providers without official registration number act illegally and get serious trouble currently with high fines (max. 500,000 Euro). Some react that way that they close their "business" suddenly - so tourists with valid reservations arrive without accomodation. The number of offered apartments decreased by 18% in 4 months (status November). Around 3,000 of these illegal offerings disappeared.

Apartments illegally used for touristic purposes are a big problem in Berlin (and in other places) because poorer families cannot afford longer to live in the city area. If you live in such places you will stay not like but instead of a local.

I suggest honestly in your own interest not to use these apartments but to book a regular hotel / hostel instead. If you look for quiet oppotunities close to that location look at Hotel i31 (backside rooms), Best Western Hotel Berlin-Mitte, Leonardo Hotel Berlin Mitte or Hotel Allegra. This would also allow to travel social responsibly.

Posted by
683 posts

MarkK, thank you very much for the information. I thought the place was legitimate, since I made the reservation through Booking.com. I'll cancel the reservation and reserve somewhere else. Thank you also for suggesting alternatives.

Posted by
14507 posts

I would suggest staying in a hotel preferably a 3 or 4 star in Berlin-Charlottenburg. Since staying in an apt is not an option for me, the place to stay is a 2 star Pension in Berlin.