Please sign in to post.

Berlin Accommodations in Oct 2015

I will be traveling to Berlin with my spouse in Oct for 4 -5 days. I would like your input regarding accommodations in both East and West Berlin. I have looked through the travel forum site as far
back as Jan. 2015 and have seen very few postings.
Please help?
Thanks

Posted by
3948 posts

We've been going to Berlin since the 80s so we are used to staying in the western part and I couldn't even be temped to change this summer. We are going to stay in a hotel that is 1/2 block from the following: Wittenbergplatz, a multi day outdoor market, bus 100, KaDeWe, grocery store, bakery and lots more. We typically use one of 2 hotels. This year we chose the one that has kind of small rooms because of the price--$240 for 6 nights. If this location appeals to you let me know and I'll message you.

EDIT: 5 nights for $240, still a good rate for a Berlin business class hotel IMO.

Posted by
565 posts

And I am the opposite of the previous poster. I prefer to stay in East Berlin but I would make an exception for Kreuzberg.

The Mitte neighborhood seems to have the most hotels. The areas around Hackescher Markt, Museuminsel, and Alexanderplatz have plenty and are super close to most sites and the starting points of many of the historical walks you might want to take.

I like to stay in an apartment in Prenzlauer Berg. If you are interested in that listing, please PM me.

Posted by
1455 posts

We were there last February and stayed at the Radisson Blu, literally next door to the Cathedral and the Museums. Generally I like boutique hotels, but I simply LOVED this hotel, and the location. Close to the bus stop, the Mitte trolley, and the museums.

We scouted various websites and I think expedia has a special discount offer with breakfast, which was very generous and kept us going all day.

Well if you're looking at accommodations you could try Roomorama. I was in Berlin recently and I booked an apartment through the site. There are quite a few options for couples, maybe it'll be suitable for you.

Posted by
597 posts

We stayed at Pension Peters recommended by RS and had a good time. The staff is great and helpful.

Posted by
211 posts

Last Sept. we stayed at RS recommended Karlito's Apt. It was not far from Hackescher Markt. Our apt. was very nice, and reasonable.

Posted by
15576 posts

I stayed at the Mercure Checkpoint Charlie. I really liked the area - it was convenient both for walking to sights and for taking the subway and trams when my feet got tired. It was quiet at night and considerably cheaper than staying closer to Mitte (though that's a great location if it's in your budget). I was very happy with the Mercure too.

Posted by
12040 posts

I liked the Maritim Hotel on Friedrichstraße. Very modern and stylish, and located within walking distance of the Reichstag, Brandenburger Tor, Unter den Linden, and the Museuminsel. For attractions further afield, the Friedrichstraße Bahnhof is right down the street.

I also stayed at the Steigenberger hotel right by the Hauptbahnhof, and although this was an excellent hotel, the immediate neighborhood is little more than a no-man's land of construction.

Posted by
5678 posts

When I did the Berlin/Prague/Vienna Tour we stayed at the Kastanienhof Hotel. I liked the location in the neighborhood between Alexanderplatz and Prenzlauer Berg. There were local restaurants and it was easy to get to the S-Bahn. The hotel was great.

Pam

Posted by
32198 posts

yeman,

Another vote for Pension Peters. I found the room to be very comfortable, the staff were wonderful and it's in a nice area. There are lots of nice restaurants in the area, and it's within easy walking distance to both Bahnhof Zoo and Savignyplatz stations, so very convenient for transportation. I'll definitely stay there again on my next visit.