Please sign in to post.

Bayern Ticket from Munich to Salzburg

I want to go to Salzburg, Austria on October 11 with my husband while we're visiting Munich. I was thinking of getting a Bayern ticket. I want to be flexible on the time we return. Is this ticket best purchased ahead of time online or on the day of travel at the train station? Is this the best ticket for flexibility for the price? I know that the Bayern ticket isn't until after 9 am.

Posted by
20937 posts

Just buy before travel. You can take any, and as many, regional trains in Bavaria (plus to/from Salzburg), any time after 9 am weekdays, until 3 am the following day. Buy from an automated ticket kiosk to avoid a surcharge for using a human to buy the ticket.

Posted by
8785 posts

You don't mention how long you will be in Germany or in Munich. The Bayern ticket will work great for the trip you mentioned above. However, if you are going to be spending time on the subways, trams, buses or other regional trains during your trip in Germany you may alternatively be interested in exploring whether the Deutschland or "D" ticket will be a better option for you.

Posted by
3 posts

I'll be staying 9 days total, all of it other than the Salzburg day, will be spent in Munich. Do I buy the Deutschland ticket at the train station when I come in at the airport? I had considered the Isarcard, but it sounds like this would be better. Also, how do I go about canceling it once we go home? Thanks for the info!

Posted by
2 posts

Tagging in to this, if someone can help explain the exact timing for the DE monthly ticket that would be great! for example, we are planning to do day trip from Munich to Salzburg as well, on October 1. I read somewhere that the DE ticket is for a calendar month, which would us to get the ticket on October 1 right before we leave? And then cancel it before the 10th of October so as not to get charged for another month?

Posted by
8785 posts

The “D” ticket is bought through local transportation agencies apps. MVV, the one for Munich, is the one I have used to purchase in the past. It is good for one calendar month and starts on the first day of the month.

Directions:
1. Download MVV app on your phone.
2. Set up an account
3. Login to the ticket shop on the app
4. Purchase your Deutschland ticket. It will show current month, but if you touch that part of app it will give you the option to buy for the following month instead. For example you can purchase October in September.
5. Purchase your ticket
6. Two things will happen. First the D ticket will appear in the app. Secondly, you will receive a confirmation email. This email is crucial. It contains the link for cancelling your ongoing subscription.
7. Use this link to cancel your subscription anytime after receiving the email, but before the 10th of the month for sure. If you only want one month then cancel it immediately upon receipt. Your D ticket you purchased will still be valid for that month.