Please sign in to post.

Bavaria suggestions

Going to be in Bavaria for 5 1/2 days. Want to make the most of it. We arrive in Munich Monday around 3:00 and plan to get a car - (1. Should we stay in the city or outside...we do enjoy walking around but not sure of convenience and parking, suggestions on a hotel?). Tuesday...plan to head to Dachau and possibly Weltenburger Brewery since they are North (2. Any other close North options). Wednesday- BMW premium tour which will take most of the day. Thursday - Saturday is the part I need help with...want to head South to include Neuschwanstin Castle/Fussen/ /Zugspitze/Mary's bridge/Eagle's Nest/salzbergwerk/Konigsee. Would love to also see the Alps towards Switzerland. Just don't want to over do it and have to be back late Saturday near Munich airport for an early Sunday flight to Paris. (3.Any suggestion where to stay and what to focus on and whether we have time to include Switzerland?) Thanks a bunch.

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi,

1 - Skip thoughts of going to Switzerland.
2 - I am wondering what is unique about seeing the Alps towards Switzerland.
You are leaving Munich on Thursday morning and have to be by the airport Saturday night.

To see Neuschwanstin Castle and Mary's Bridge, Fuessen, the Zugspitze, the Eagle's Nest, Salt Mine and the Konigssee in 2.5 days is a stretch. Neuschwanstin Castle (and Mary's Bridge), Fuessen and the Zugspitze are in the opposite direction from Munich than the Eagle's Nest, Salt Mine and the Konigssee. Even with a car, these two area's are about 3.5 hours apart.

The Zugspitze is dependent on the weather as you know. Can't plan ahead for a visit.

I'd say pick one area (Fuessen area or Berchtesgaden area) and focus on the things you'd like to see there. Don't split what little time you do have.

Paul

Posted by
980 posts

We arrive in Munich Monday around 3:00 and plan to get a car

Don't get a car until you leave the city on Thirsday. It will be more hassle and cost than it's worth.

Should we stay in the city or outside...we do enjoy walking around but not sure of convenience and parking

Stay in the city. Don't let a car dictate where you stay.

Thursday - Saturday is the part I need help with...want to head South to include Neuschwanstin Castle/Fussen/ /Zugspitze/Mary's bridge/Eagle's Nest/salzbergwerk/Konigsee. Would love to also see the Alps towards Switzerland.

Switzerland is a good base to see Swizterland, Munich is not. Even a scratching Switzerland from your trip you would still be pressed for time to fit travel from Munich-Füßen-Berchtesgaden-Munich plus visits to the castles and Eagles nest in three days. Most on the forum would suggest picking one or the other (Füßen or Berchtesgaden) for two nights.

DJ

Posted by
21 posts

Great help..thank u! I need to see how easy it is to get to the BMW plant from the city then I can get the car outside of Munich. Woo-hoo

Posted by
980 posts

It's easier to get to the BMW museum by public transport than to drive. Just take the U3 subway line a 20 minute trip from the city center to Olympiazentrum and follow the signs to the station exit for BMW, you can't miss it.

If also add if the only reason to head to Weltenburger is because it is north of the city along with Dachau, keep in mind it is way, way north and there are closer options for monastery or former monastery) breweries closer to Munich that are more easily reached by public transport like Andechs, Kloster Reutberg, or Tegernsee Bräustüberl.

DJ