Please sign in to post.

basel switzerland

to reach basel from Kehl ....are there any inexpensive options for a day trip?

Posted by
4684 posts

Getting from Kehl to Basel Badischer Bahnhof (don't know if Basel main station is covered by it) using local rail services covered by a Baden-Wuerttemberg takes around two and a half hours, which is too long for a day trip for me.

Posted by
8889 posts

Two alternative rail routes, and they both take roughly the same time (~1h45)
1) German side of the Rhine. Train Kehl to Offenburg, and a second train from there to Basel. Train stops at Basel Badischer Bahnhof, and then Basel SBB.
2) French side of the Rhine. Train Kehl to Strasbourg, and a second train from there to Basel. Train terminates at Basel SBB.

Look up times on the SBB (Swiss Railways) site: https://www.sbb.ch/en

Kehl is an unusual place to stay, it is a suburb of Strasbourg.

Posted by
19092 posts

Travel by regional train to the main SBB station in Basel is included with the Baden-Württemberg-Ticket. Use of other means of transport in Basel is not included. You can get a 2nd class adult day ticket for all transport in the inner area of Basel (zones 10, 11, 12, & 15) for 9,90 CHF.

Text: www.bwegt.de/ihr-nahverkehr/tickets-und-tarife/

Map: www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/angebotsberatung/regio/laender-tickets/pdfs/2018/mdb270079streckenkarte-badenwuerttemberg_a2-bwegt-look-rz.pdf

Posted by
8889 posts

Except the regional trains from Offenburg (the ones the Baden-Württemberg Ticket is valid on) terminate at Basel Badischer Bahnhof. It is only the ICE that continue to Basel SBB. And the regional trains are a lot slower than the ICE.

If you are heading for Basel city centre either station will do. The two stations are on opposite sides of the city (and opposite sides of the Rhine). The city centre is between the two stations.

Invest in a day card (machine takes Franks and Euros, have coins ready) and take a tram into the centre (No. 6 from Badischer Bahnhof).

Posted by
211 posts

thanks to all who responded to my questions about day trips from Kehl. Many folks wonder why I (for now ) have chosen Kehl. I have several reasons...1) The Europa offers twin rooms for $96 /nt, w/breakfast. I investigated Gengenbach and either they did not offer twin beds, or the price was considerably higher. I have hopes for Hotel Hirsch, but they seem full. 2)On this trip I want to see Strassbourg, perhaps perhaps Basel and provide my friend with an overview of the Black Forest. I already have seen much of it. So, if we can visit Gengenbach and maybe triberg and/or a third town on the line, I would be happy. I do appreciate your comments and suggestions and I continue to hammer out the best itinerary.