Please sign in to post.

Bahn.de website

I am trying to research my train tickets on this website. The problem I have is that I don't know how to determine which of the "Esslingen"s I want to travel to. There are 8-9 possibilities. How do I figure out which one? Is there a map which allows me to determine if it is Esslingen Zell, Esslingen Neckar or any of the other possibilities that come up?

Posted by
23282 posts

One approach the often works for me is to goggle the city and see what comes up or look on Wikipedia. Generally from that info I can determine where I am going. I think Zell, Neckar, etc., are names of train station and not different towns.

Posted by
300 posts

Or, assuming the multiple Esslingen options are all train stations, just type the
station name(s) into Google Maps. Pretty sure Maps will show you where the
station is.

The fare difference between stations in the same (smallish) city is likely to be
negligible in any case; it's more like making sure you get off at the right stop
for where you want to go.

Posted by
20145 posts

If you want the suburb of Stuttgart, Esslingen(Neckar) is the main station. If Oberesslingen or Esslingen-Zell are closer to your destination, use those S-Bahn stations. Normally, a comma in the station name indicates that it is a bus stop.

Posted by
16326 posts

Coming from Stuttgart, the local train stops at Esslingen-Mettingen, which is a very industrial-looking area on satellite view, then Esslingen (Neckar) which is the main station for the town, then Oberesslingen, Esslingen-Zell, and Esslingen Altbach. You can as suggested above look on Google maps to see which is closest to your hotel.

Note that Esslingen (CH) is a town in Switzerland.

Posted by
2335 posts

Your hits for "Esslingen" show four easily distinguishable formats (1) The first result is "Esslingen(Neckar)" - this refers to the "main station". (2) All the following names showing the format "Esslingen-XX" are (train or bus) stops within Esslingen. (3) Then there comes up an "Esslingen (CH)", where "CH" stands for Switzerland. (4) Finally, there are names in the format "Esslingen, Lieburg". That refers to a place called Esslingen, which belongs to a community called Lieburg (in this case in Switzerland, too).

Useful as a rule of thumb: (1) Search on Google to see if there is more than one city "Esslingen" etc.. If this is not the case, as here, you already know what to look for. (2) If there are several places of the same name (best example: "Neustadt"), study the information on Google regarding the location of the place, possibly also in Google Maps. Then nothing should go wrong.

BTW, in the early days of navigation programmes, in the Franconian town of Neustadt an der Aisch I met a desperate trucker from Stralsund (on the Baltic coast) who couldn't find his destination. After some back and forth, it turned out that he was actually travelling to Neustadt an der Orla, 200 km away, which was in the former GDR and therefore was not yet known to the software. He and his dispatcher weren't really happy.

Posted by
1692 posts

Just enter the street address of your destination in the planner and let it figure out the best station for you.