Please sign in to post.

Another train ticket question!

We’ll be in Germany June 20-30. Is it best to buy the 9 euro tickets prior to arriving or can we get them at the airport on arrival so our transportation from the airport is covered? I looked into buying them online prior to departure but it looks like I would need to do three separate transactions. Also, I assume that I can buy tickets separately for the ICE train leg of a multi-leg trip. Anyone have the answers or know where I can check?

Posted by
19052 posts

Someone currently living in German would provide a more accurate answer to your question, but based on a lot of travel on German Rail and purchasing a lot of tickets at automats, I would assume that the 9€ tickets will be readily available from automats and from ticket counters.

The English side of the DB website says only that,

The ticket will be available via channels such as bahn.de, the DB
Navigator app and ticket desks at stations.

If you can read German and use the German language side of the DB website, you'll find that the tickets will also be available from ticket automats and "agents".

All customers can purchase the ticket from May 23, 2022 via DB
channels such as bahn.de and DB Navigator (app) as well as at DB
ticket machines throughout Germany and in DB travel centers in train
stations and DB agencies.
Translated by Google Translate

Posted by
2308 posts

you'll find that the tickets will also be available from ticket automats and "agents".

You can also buy it from any local transport organization (MVV, VGN automats and ticket windows etc.). This has in the meantime led to a kind of competition of possessing the most curious ticket. The current favorite seems to be the one from the Naumburg streetcar organization, because its only available from the conductor or at the streetcar depot ("just ring the bell at the depot").