Please sign in to post.

Annaberg-Bucholz Christmas 2015

I am going to stay with my friends in Annaberg-Bucholz this coming Christmas for about 10 days (I have yet to book), it has been a dream to go to the Christmas markets and drink Glüwein. I really wanted to travel by train from Budapest between Prague, Cesky Krumlov and Vienna. My friends have told me that they will take me around everywhere although the roads may be blocked for days if there is heavy snow.

I would like some advice as to what clothes/shoes to take and should I just take my friend's offer of letting them driving me everywhere, is it better than the train? Also are the train connections good between the cities I want to travel in if I venture down this path.

Thank you
Victoria

Posted by
12040 posts

the roads may be blocked for days if there is heavy snow. It's extremely rare for roads to close down because of snow, even in the Alps (except for certain roads that close seasonally).

Clothes- where do you live now? Saxony tends to be somewhat colder than the German average, and it looks like you'll be staying in and around the Erzgebirge mountain range. So, bring a decent winter coat, sweaters, hat, gloves, scarf and wool socks. I normally would say that unless you plan to do some hiking, winter boots are not necessary, but you're visiting one of the snowier regions of the country, so they're probably a good idea. Don't be surprised, though, if temperatures end up being warmer than you expect.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you Tom, I live in Sydney and apart from this current unusually very cold winter it is not cold like Europe. I think I may have to get some good boots to wear in the snow.

Posted by
868 posts

Sorry, but: do you realise that you stay right in the heart of Germanys Christmas country? I don't know your plans, but to me it sounds very odd to leave the Ore mountains, and Saxony, to visit Christmas markets in Prague or Budapest, which are just new copies of a much older tradition?

Posted by
3 posts

No I am going to visit the Christmas markets in Annaberg-Bucholz not the other cities. I may visit Prague and Cesky Krumlov if the weather is agreeable.