Please sign in to post.

Airlines

Does anyone know anything about the airline Eurowings. Do they partner w/anyone or do they have their own fleet of planes? Has anyone flown w/them? Were you satisfied. Thanks much for any info. Candyce

Posted by
32206 posts

Candyce,

EuroWings is a subsidiary of the Lufthansa Group, so they're a reputable airline. Yes, they have their own fleet of aircraft and they have code share agreements with a number of different airlines.

What route are you planning to fly?

Posted by
8141 posts

Questions about airlines or airports?
Look'em up on Wikipedia.
Someone in the airline industry keeps Wikipedia completely updated about who flies where, and it's a great source of information.

Posted by
980 posts

It's a low cost carrier owned by Lufthansa previously known as Germanwings.

I've used them several times over the past few years usually out of MUC or DUS. Similar to Frontier or TED in the US.

DJ

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you very much. We are joining a Reformation tour in Berlin in early Aug., but will arrive in Europe to do a couple weeks of travel either before or after our tour. Was considering Vienna and Bratislava. Would it be better to fly into Munich or Prague and train to Berlin? Let me know what you think

Posted by
27111 posts

Berlin itself has enough sites to fill more than a week if you're interested in World War II and/or Cold War history, so depending on your interests and what your tour covers, you may want additional time in Berlin. Or you could spend additional time in other places in northeast Germany that tour doesn't visit.

I'm confused about what you're proposing since you mention visiting Vienna or Bratislava but flying into Prague or Munich. Vienna and Bratislava are about 9 hours from Berlin by train, so if you opt to visit one of those before your tour, you are committing yourself to a day-long train ride or an additional flight to get to the starting point of your tour. How much extra time do you have?

It would be best to start a new thread for this inquiry so you'll receive email notifications when answers are posted and Candyce will not.

Posted by
3847 posts

I personally would fly into Berlin, specifically into Tegel. Tegel will eventually be closed to commercial airlines when the new Berlin airport is (finally) finished. This is your chance to fly into an airport that was originally built solely for the purpose of supplying West Berlin during the Berlin Airlift (1948-1949), one of the US's greatest endeavors. Landing there and walking around there is like being on hallowed ground if you know the history of the place (though there is little there to memorialize its history). Delta/KLM/Air France have flights to Tegel on sale right now. You could fly into Tegel, spend a couple of days in Berlin on your own to get over jet lag, do the tour, go where you want to go after the tour, and fly out of wherever your private exploration of Europe ends (use the "Multi-city" tab on the airline website to get the best price).

I don't know anything about the timing or itinerary of your tour/time in Berlin, but if your Protestant interests include Dietrich Bonhoeffer, I strongly recommend a visit to the Bonhoeffer House. It's actually the retirement home of his parents, but he stayed here when in Berlin during the War. It is also where he was arrested by the Gestapo. It's located in western Berlin, in the general area of the Olympic Stadium (an S stop or two from the stadium). It's a good distance from the city center, which means most of the century-old houses around it were spared from bombing, making for a very pleasant walk through an old Berlin neighborhood to get to the house. The house is usually open on Saturday mornings with an English tour at 11 am; be sure to contact the House well ahead of your visit to let them know you are coming. The tour lasts about 1 hour and consists of a 45-minute lecture on Bonhoeffer's life by the current caretaker (and occupant!) of the home; then, you are taken up to see Bonhoeffer's room, arranged as it was when he lived there (with some original items, like his bookshelves and klavier). The website is http://www.bonhoeffer-house-berlin.net. Click on the "Directions" tab to get info on visits and, of course, directions (there is not a "Visits" tab on the English version of the site).

I love, love, love Berlin. Enjoy your time there!