Please sign in to post.

Aachen

If you've been to Aachen, please share your experience, likes and dislikes, good eats, good sites, good day trips, etc. Thanks.

Posted by
213 posts

My husband and I traveled to Aachen from Cologne by train on a day trip. We went specifically to visit the cathedral which is fabulous. It was not overly crowded - we were there in early June. We stopped for a light lunch at a cafe just down the street - sorry I don't remember the name - we had wonderful homemade soup and sandwiches and great coffee. An easy day trip.

Posted by
8938 posts

We did a day trip to Aachen from Frankfurt last year to see their special exhibit about Charlemagne. The cathedral is unique and you should try and get there in time to join their tour of the church. The museum was pretty interesting too. Other than that, it was enjoyable to walk around the town. Not sure if I would want to spend more than a day or two there as it is a small town.

Posted by
1976 posts

I was there for one night to see the Dom (cathedral) and Charlemagne's Palace Chapel. I also liked the Town Hall.

Posted by
179 posts

Thank you, all.

I'd love some food, shopping, and additional site options in Aachen or nearby too any come to mind.

Posted by
14497 posts

Hi,

The first time visiting Aachen I stayed at the hostel. It is worth seeing if only as a day trip, which I did the last time in 1999, saw the place as a day trip from Düsseldorf. Aachen markets itself as being surrounded by three countries.

Posted by
11613 posts

I was in Aachen last year for three nights, I loved it! Aachen is an equestrian center, which explains all the horse sculptures and toys. There is a world equestrian event in July. Aachen also has a Neuhaus chocolate shop. The Tourist Information center has lots of info on tours, events, etc.

There was nothing I did not like about Aachen!

Posted by
32683 posts

Not far from Aachen is Valkenberg in the Netherlands towards Maastricht which has a very nice modern spa complex - Thermae 2000.

Aachen is a very nice small town.