Please sign in to post.

5 Days in Germany

We (family of 4) are planning our first trip to Europe and we have 5 days in Germany. We were planning to rent a car in Kohl when we get there from Paris. We were going to make our home base in Koblenz for three nights so we could go to the Nurbergring and do a Rhine River tour. Then go to Munich for two days. As I look through the travel guides I feel like I'm missing so much. Any suggestions?

Posted by
19515 posts

Where is "Kohl"? Do you mean perhaps "Koeln", aka Cologne?
I can think of many more desirable locations than Koblenz, although there are some interesting sites there. Perhaps somewhere along the Mosel, like Cochem.

Posted by
8889 posts

Perhaps it is a typo for "Kehl", the suburb of Strasbourg on the other side of the Rhine and therefore in Germany.
Galbierz, perhaps you can come back and confirm this?

There is a lot to suggest, but 5 days is not much time for a big country like Germany. I think you either have to restrict yourself to the Rhine area, or to Bavaria (Nuremberg/Nürnberg etc.). In 5 days you cannot do both.

Posted by
179 posts

You have to be more specific what you are interested in. Scenery? Nature? Old towns? Museums? Sports? At which time of the year you plan to go?

Posted by
19049 posts

So he's in Cologne with 5 days in Germany. There are so many things to see in that part of Germany. Stay there; don't try to go to Munich.

As I look through the travel guides I feel like I'm missing so much.

Yes you are, but that's due to only 5 day. No matter where you go, you are going to miss so much. Take advantage of where you are and try to see as much as you can without spending too much time traveling.

And Nürburgring? I could spend a year in Germany without needing to see Nürburgring.

And everything worthwhile in that area is easily accessible by train; you don't need a car.

Posted by
2393 posts

Yes - more info on your interests, the age of kids and time of year would be helpful.

Clearly - racing is an interest

Castle visit?

While Koblenz is nice some of the smaller towns have that lovely German charm and are more walkable.

Posted by
12040 posts

As I look through the travel guides I feel like I'm missing so much.

I lived in Germany for 4 years and I feel like I only began to scratch the surface (but I'm moving back next year!!!....). You can't possibly expect to see anything but a tiny sample in 5 days. I agree with the others, unless you have a flight booked out of Munich, just spend your time in the west of the country. There's more than enough to explore in 5 days.

Posted by
14480 posts

Hi,

I agree with the others on your 5 days esp with children in tow. Stay put in the Köln or Koblenz area (Bonn, Bad Ems, etc ), aside from seeing the cities. Get a view of the Rhine and Moselle by going up to Festung Ehrenbreitstein to see Deutsches Eck. Or, forget about the rental car, and fly directly to Berlin to spend the entire 5 days.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks so much for all the advice. I guess I was throwing Munich in there so I would be close to Dachau. I want my 16 and 17 y/o to experience that. I think I will stay close the Rhine.

Posted by
19515 posts

Is Germany your last stop before going home, or are you moving on to other destinations? If so, where?
You have a few castles you can go to like Burg Eltz on the Mosel or Marksburg on the Rhine.