Please sign in to post.

5 Days in Germany

My wife and I will be taking a 5 week to Europe in September/October of this year. The beginning and ending itinerary is booked but we are just getting ready to plan the middle. What is set is that we will be leaving Innsbruck on September 21st by train after having taken a cruise from Rome to Venice and spent afew days each in Balzano and in Innsbruck. We need to arrive in London on September 27th. In the past we have visited the South and West of Germany several times (Munich, Fussen, the Romantic Road, Rothenberg, Koln, Frankfurt). Our thought is to go to one destination in Central Germany for 2 or 3 full days and then fly out on the 27th after spending 1 or 2 full days in Berlin.

So the question is how to split the 5 days and where to go before Berlin? We will have had our fill of large cities, mountains and the ocean. We are going to be on the go once we get to London so ideally we would like to visit an "out of the way" small to medium size city with an "old town" section to wind down in that also has some cultural/historical interest. Perhaps Gottingen or Bamburg, which are on the railway line to Berlin?

Any wisdom someone can impart?

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

If you pick Göttingen, the advantage it is on the main train route, a trunk line, direct to Berlin since that ICE train originates in Munich. I was in Göttingen once. That was in 1987, spent a few nights staying at the hostel. It is interesting depending on your interests, I liked it. If you want to visit a place in "central Germany" ie, a smaller place, I would recommend Minden, which to get to Berlin, you'll have to transfer in Hannover, depending on the train.

Posted by
2487 posts

Bamberg is a beauty, and you'll find Nuremberg (Nürnberg), Bayreuth and Würzburg nearby in case you're in need for a day trip. It is 5 hours to Berlin though.

Posted by
868 posts

I would not recommend Bamberg, simply because it's Bavaria, which you have already seen, and I would not recommend Göttingen, which is nice, but with a single train change you can stay in much better places.
There are basically three touristically interesting regions you could visit: Thuringia, and what Rick Steves calls "Lutherland", Saxony, and the Harz mountains. I would either recommend Thuringia or the Harz mountains. The capital of Thuringia, and a good base, is Erfurt, AFAIK the city with the biggest preserved Altstadt (old town) in Germany. From there you can do day trips to Weimar, a World Heritage Site, Eisenach with Wartburg castle (also a World Heritage Site) and many cute little towns with huge castles, since they all were capitals of equally tiny duchies, or places related to Luther and the Protestant Reformation.
The Harz mountains are to the northeast of Göttingen, but it's difficult to get to the main sights from there. The area was the heart of medieval Germany, and the highlight today are several perfectly preserved towns with literally thousands of half-timbered houses. Two of them, Goslar and Quedlinburg, are Word Heritage Sites, and Goslar can be reached with a single train change. From there you can do day trips to cute towns like Quedlinburg, Wernigerode or Wolfenbüttel, see the Romanesque chruches of Hildesheim (World Heritage Site) or the Gothic cathedral of Halberstadt, or enjoy the largest steam train network of Germany (one route goes up to the highest mountain of Northern Germany).

Posted by
4684 posts

The Harz mountains are nice, but Innsbruck to Quedlinberg (for example) by train takes almost ten hours. The problem with the Harz is that there are few international airports nearby.

Posted by
6637 posts

"Our thought is to go to one destination in Central Germany for 2 or 3 full days and then fly out on the 27th after spending 1 or 2 full days in Berlin."

"We will have had our fill of large cities..."

So you're going to spend time in Berlin? Berlin is a 4-5-day sort of place. Avoid the big city and long train ride, see it another time. You've seen the touristy part of Bavaria previously. Bamberg is a good choice and would be new and different. Nearby Würzburg is worthwhile as well - and it's a better base town as well for mini-outings to towns that you missed by taking the Romantic Road... Marktbreit... the wine-town of Iphofen... Bad Windsheim. All these places are in Franconia too, and none of them are "Oompah-land." It's not like you're "re-doing" anything just because you are still technically in Bavaria.

I'd spend the full 5 days in Franconia. From a Würzburg base you can visit Bamberg (less than 1 hour) Marktbreit (25 min.) Iphofen (25 min.) and/or Bad Windsheim (1.25 hrs.) And when you fly to London, you're just 1.5 hours from FRA airport, about the same to Nuremberg airport.

Posted by
868 posts

The Harz mountains are nice, but Innsbruck to Quedlinberg (for
example) by train takes almost ten hours.

The OP wants to take the train to Berlin. There are two equally fast train routes from Munich to Berlin: one via "Lutherland", and one via Göttingen, which means he almost crosses the Harz mountains.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

Spend the extra time in Central Germany. Some good choices listed here already, I would add also Hameln and Celle for small places, a bigger place Braunschweig.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks all for the great ideas. Staying all 5 days in Central Germany using Erfurt as a base for day trips, then flying out of FRA (zero connection ICE straight to the airport station, nice!) looks like the plan. We'll save Berlin for a future trip.