Please sign in to post.

2021 Spring Break Bavaria Road Trip/ Vienna/ Prague

Looking at spring break 2021 (Last week of March and First week of April) was looking at doing a trip like this (see below) wondering if doing Prague and Vienna is to much after Bavaria road trip. Or should I flip it and start in Prague, than head to Vienna and finish in Germany. Coming from the States how is driving in Germany? We will be traveling with our kids who will be 9 and 13 at the time we leave. What’s your thoughts? This will be our first time in this area. Thanks

Day 1- Arrive in Munich, Drive to Berchtesgaden for 3 nights
Day 2- Berchtesgaden (Eagles Nest, Lake Konigsee, Salzbergwerk)
Day 3- Salzburg, Austria
Day 4- Drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Home Base for 4 nights)
Day 5- Zugspitze (On a Clear Day)
Day 6- Neuschwanstein Castle, Hohenschwangau Castle
Day 7- Innsbruck, Austria
Day 8- Romantic Road to Rothenburg ob der Tauber( skip?) / Munich (2 nights)
Day 9- Munich
Day 10- Train to Vienna
Day 11- Vienna
Day 12- Vienna
Day 13- Train to Prague
Day 14- Prague
Day 15- Prague
Day 16- Home

Posted by
4675 posts

Easter is April 4, 2021. Is there a specific location you want- or don't want- to be on Easter?
Have a great trip!

Posted by
4585 posts

Coming from the States how is driving in Germany?

I found driving in Germany (I was mainly on small back roads, not highways and flat, not hilly) to be very pleasant and relaxing. If you haven't driven in Europe before, I suggest you familiarize yourself ahead of time with the road signs - (Edit) which (while standard) are generally pictures, without explanatory words.

Also, know the "default" speed limits in Germany because I saw (far) fewer speed limits signs on the back roads than I would expect to see in the US - you are expected to know them. (Speed limit signs will be posted where they differ from the "defaults.")

I found this speed limit info: "General speed limits in Germany are set by the federal government. All limits are multiples of 10 km/h. There are two default speed limits: 50 km/h (31 mph) inside built-up areas and 100 km/h (62 mph) outside built-up areas."

German nationals on the forum have advised that the tolerance for speeding is very low. Whereas you might expect to get away with 5 or even 10 miles over the speed limit in the US, do not expect the same in Germany.

Posted by
4585 posts

As a solo traveler, I prefer taking trains to driving. But on my trips where I've done both, I prefer to get the driving out of the way early in the trip. However, I generally don't like to drive on my arrival day. And if I have to drive on the 2nd day, I like to end the day early because I know I'll feel sleepy early that 2nd evening.

Depending on how you manage jet lag on your first few days, you may wish to reconsider the approx. 155km from Munich to Berchtesgaden on your arrival day.

Posted by
260 posts

Good to know on driving in Germany and will definitely read up on it the closer we get to it.

As for Easter I hadn’t really thought about it and didn’t know it was on the 4th. Any recommendations? And are towns/ sites shut down for Easter? Looking at our schedule it’s looking like the 2 castles in Neuschwanstein

Posted by
4675 posts

Google the dates of the Prague Easter markets- it's fun for the whole family: interesting foods, gooey desserts, local crafts, hand-painted Easter eggs, and Slavic dancing/ singing .

Unless it's a "must do", I'd skip the Fussen Castle experience. You can Search feedback here. It's a lot of work and standing in lines for a very short, uninspired tour, IMHO, [especially for N- Castle; H Castle is more interesting]. There are lines even with the timed-tickets, as you must be in place before your time.

I love Rothenburg - half-timbered houses, walking on the town walls, climbing the quirky steps of the Town Hall, [for a look-out over the town], and the Night Watchmen tour [check for off-season schedule.] Lots of great activities for the kids.
I love Vienna but don't know anything about Easter markets and activities.

At that time of year, it will most likely be spring one day, winter the next, repeat cycle. Just pack layers. I enjoyed our trip in that season, but did miss the leaves on the trees and the gardens in bloom.

So nice that you have a family experience!

Posted by
260 posts

Awesome thanks Pat,
Looking at Prague for Easter is when we will be there so we will definitely check that out! And we are from the Pacific NW so we know the Cold spring time so it won’t be a shock to us. Just hoping for a clear day when we visit Zugspitze. And as far as the Füssen Castles that’s what initially drew me to that region and to plan a road trip. So we will definitely check the box if you will and visit them. Have you don the Royal Crystal Baths over there as well?

And speaking of weather as I know it can change. How is the Eagles Nest during March/ April? Mild/ a little chilly?

Posted by
613 posts

"From 1 November to 15 April you may only drive in winter conditions, such as icy roads or roads covered in snow or slush, if you have winter tyres fitted. If you are caught without winter tyres in Austria in such conditions, you will be fined €35."

Also, you need to buy a vignette at the border, about 20 Euros.

High airport tax on cars at MUC. I saved big bucks renting in town. Spend firs 1-2 nights in Munich-- not only saves money on car but you won't sleep well on the flight, you will have jet lag, and you are going to be driving in a very deferent place. Taking a day to recover.

Don't just familiarize yourself with International road signs, memorize them. Make every body going memorize them because the driver will appreciate help.

EU drivers follow much closer than Americans. This is unnerving. but understandable once you see how little room there is pass on EU roads. On multi-lane highways, always keep right except to pass. 4 lane Expressways have a fast and slow lane, much less speed variation than in USA. 6 lane expressways have slow, moderate, and fast lanes. Pick one and go with the flow. Road signs are very systematic. This is a good lesson USA could learn.

Don't be discouraged, driving is the best way to go, and its easy outside the big cities.

Neuschwanstein Castle is unfinished inside and as noted, not worth the effort. On the other had, viewed from above (Marienbruck bridge) or below (the parking lot, a restaurant across the way, it is spectacular. There are tables in the restaurant H. Lisl und Jaegerhaus the overlook both castles. The interior to see is the nearby Weiss Kirch.

Mad King Ludwig had two more castles, Linderhoff and The Rezidenze in Munich. Both have better interior sights than Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castles.

Keep Prague at the end. It is the best thing you will see, and by then you will be over jet lag and can fully enjoy it. Munich, on the other hand, benefits from visiting while brain dead.

Your itinerary is too tight. If Day 2- Berchtesgaden (Eagles Nest, Lake Konigsee, Salzbergwerk) has bad weather, flip it with Salzburg. Organize things as good weather (scenery) days and bad weather (towns, castles, museums) days and play it by ear.

Posted by
260 posts

Awesome info kb!! Thank you! Since I’ve never driven do rental car companies put winter tires on or auto socks to buy in those conditions? And we will definitely play it by year and switch things up if weather rolls in on places we want to see the view for! If we can do that and Mother Nature doesn’t have other plans. Don’t mind driving in the winter type conditions I’ll keep an eye out for AWD cars when we look for rental cars. And will definitely book off site in Munich for it.

Posted by
32701 posts

The Kehlsteinhaus / Eagles Nest usually opens in May. You will have to take that off your list.

Posted by
1287 posts

The Fischunkelalm on the Obersee behind the Königssee will be closed too. No cows there either this early I'm afraid. I still would not miss this corner on a blue-sky day for the beauty.

Posted by
8124 posts

You're itinerary is pretty aggressive for a two week trip. Remember your first and last days of any trip are pretty much wasted days. I've made most of this itinerary a number of times.
Have you considered flying into Prague?
Then take the train to Vienna.
From there, the train over to Salzburg is an easy trip. Berchtesgaden is a short trip south of Salzburg, and many day tours are available from there.
And it's just a couple of hours into Munich by train from Salzburg.
After seeing Munich (worthy of 3 days), you could rent a car and head south toward Innsbruck and the Tirol going thru Garmisch or staying there. (I usually stay outside of Innsbruck.) I've done the Neuschwanstein thing, and would skip it. I'd also suggest skipping Rothenburg as it's out of the way and there is just so much to see on the rest of your trip.
As I step back and consider your trip, you're going to be moving pretty fast. Prague is another place you could save for a future trip. After 49 years of traveling this region, we now travel slowly--and better.

Posted by
260 posts

Thanks for the Info David! I have considered flipping where we start like you mentioned. And finishing in Germany. Still very early planning so I can always move things around! I’m wondering if we should delay a bit and take advantage of more late spring early summer weather for warmer weather.

Posted by
50 posts

I would recommend to start right from prague. The "City of a Hundred Towers" is famous for its Old Town Square with its colourful baroque buildings, Gothic churches and the medieval astronomical clock, on which an animated carillon can be seen every hour. The Charles Bridge, completed in 1402, with statues of Catholic saints, is closed to motor traffic.

Take the train in prague and in about 2 hours you'll be in Vienna. I love the area around the river donau and don't miss a day at the prater. Is a must-go for adrenaline junkies :D

From Vienna to munich there are planes but also trains. My personal choice would be train. In about 3 to 5 hours you will arrive in Bavaria. There you have to check the Hofbräuhäuser. I love the atmosphere in these restaurants and you get good food :)
By the way, in Germany you are obliged to carry a safety vest in your desired car. Furthermore, fines over 70 euros are also enforced abroad: https://www.punkte-flensburg.de/bussgeld/#muss-das-bussgeld-auch-im-ausland-gezahlt-werden

Let me know if you need info about innsbruck. Have been there many times..

Posted by
4675 posts

Note- The train connections for Prague - Vienna are a minimum 4.5 hours trip. The flights are under an hour.
Healthy travels- whenever!

Posted by
27057 posts

For a good idea of the range of weather you might encounter around the end of March, take a look at the historical day-by-day weather statistics for your key destinations on the website timeanddate.com. The data goes back about ten years. I'd check at least the most recent three years; five would be better.

It's all too easy to look at average monthly high temperatures for an off-season trip and think, "That's not too bad". Unfortunately, you are not likely to experience those temperatures at 8 or 9 AM or as you head out for dinner. Personally, I dislike chilly, wet weather as well as short days, so I would not travel to that part of Europe at the time you plan. However, plenty of other folks don't mind the weather and really appreciate the smaller crowds. In this case, though, if your trip coincides with other people's spring-break vacations, you may experience iffy weather without the full benefit of lower numbers of tourists.

Timeanddate.com

Posted by
7 posts

Edryer,

Spent a bit of time in most of the areas on your trip. Our most recent trip was to meet my brother, his wife and to surprise my parents in Munich for Oktoberfest last year. My wife and I took our daughters at the time 10 and 14, and they did great all things considered. The amount of walking they did not anticipate, but our older daughter took this much better than our younger as you might expect. Disclaimer, the only thing on your list I have not done is Berchtesgaden, but on my bucket list.

The route we took last fall was Home (Indianapolis)->Prague->Nuremberg->Munich->Oberammergau->Hallstatt->Vienna->Home. I do think that the route from Prague->Nuremberg->Rothenburg (DO NOT miss this)->Munich->Garmisch->Innsbruck makes the most sense. I don't know there is one "right way" to do this, but the things you have on your list are spot on IMO. And if you're going to be in Bavaria, don't skip the Ludwig Castles or Linderhof....you may kick yourself if you're down in this area and you don't do them. Just reserve tickets before you go.

After Garmisch/Innsbruck, head East and keep going for Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, Hallstatt (on your way to Vienna), and finish in Vienna. This way you're not backtracking at any point in time. You'll have almost traveled a semi-circle by the time you do this route, but you'll avoid driving back and forth. The scenery from Innsbruck/Garmisch on your way to Salzburg/Hallstatt is breathtaking. If you want to see the route you'd be traveling (that I'm advocating for), you can go to Google Maps, put in Prague and then destination (Nuremberg), then just below it, hit "Add Destination". You can keep adding cities to see the route, and you'll see that you'll be optimizing your visit time vs. your drive/travel time, and that you're almost doing a loop.

We've done train and driven in this area a bit. I would do a car everywhere as you'll have more flexibility, and some of the train routes that you'll have to take to get some of the places you desire are a little wonky (although train travel around Germany is fantastic).

Please let me know if you need any more suggestions. Sounds like an amazing trip you have planned! Also, in Prague we stayed at a very affordable Airbnb that was a 1 minute walk from the Charles Bridge, putting us right in the "middle of the action", but it was set back from the street and seemed private. Airbnb's are our favorite way to travel in Europe. :)

Posted by
260 posts

Aaron,
This is awesome information thank you so much!! This trip is on hold for now and probably 2 years out since we have had to delay our current Italy and France trip from this year to next fall 2021! But never hurts to plan and get input to make things easier! I’ll definitely reach out if I have more questions!! We will most likely do this trip late June/ early July so we don’t run into a chance of snow in the early spring.

Posted by
850 posts

I have done trips very similar to what you are proposing multiple times, the most recently 7 years ago in April. (For five years I made this trip every year in early April for a trade show in Nuremberg and then visited vendors in Vienna and Munich. I also took the time to use up vacation, so I'd spend 3-4 weeks touring that area.) But your itinerary is crazy; you're backtracking way too much. Plus, you leave no time to visit Munich, which is a very bad idea. You can easily see all of Garmish in two days, and Berchtesgaden in one. Munich you could spend a week in and not see half the main sights.

Are you military/DOD? Because that's the only reason I could see using Garmisch Partinkirchen as a base for 4 days, especially after three in Berchtesgaden. Those two spots are less than two hours away from each other, and if you use the MWR in GP they can set up the tours for you.

Likewise, you would be better off staying in Salzburg than Berchtesgaden, especially in late March/early April. There will be snow, and the Eagles Nest may not be open. The Zugspitz will, because it's a ski resort.

I suggest you look at Munich, GP, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague (in that order) as your route. Although at that time of year, and using trains, I prefer Munich, Nuremberg, Prague, Vienna and fly home from there. Or condense the time in each place and then continue to Salzburg, GP, and fly out of Munich.

First off, driving in Germany is much more aggressive than Americans are used to. Likewise, if you can't drive stick, take the train. You can ask for an automatic, but odds are you won't get one from the rental companies. You should also know that the majority of the tickets are from cameras. They get very expensive. The locals will not forgive you if you break the rules, you're expected to know how to drive correctly or pay the price.

Posted by
58 posts

I would only add potentially the luge in Bieber near Mittenwald on your way to or from Innsbruck. I don't know if they will be open that early but the kids would have a blast. As much fun as Rothenburg is, for this trip it is out of the way. My wife and I ran up for a day/night from Munich, I would not recommend it. Travelling south to North that time of year is probably a smart idea. I hope you can get into EU by then. The speed advice/warning from others is great. I agree the castle is best scene from outside on the bridge. Linderhof is a must, hopefully the grotto is reopened.

Posted by
19092 posts

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but since Salzburg is on the way from Munich to Vienna, and Berchtesgaden is only an hour from Salzburg, maybe you should do the Garmish-P, Romantic Road part of the trip first, then go to Vienna via Berchtesgaden.

But, relative to your original itinerary:
1. Munich airport to Berchtesgaden is about 2h40 by non-Autobahn roads (about 5 minutes faster via the longer A8 route, but I wouldn't drive it after a long trans-Atlantic flight, jetlagged and with little sleep.
2. The train will take only about ½ an hour longer than driving, and you won't have to worry about falling asleep on the way (in fact, you can sleep on the way, and will probably appreciate the opportunity).
3. A Bayern-Ticket for 2 (currently 32€), which you can purchase at the airport, will cover both adults and your own under 15 children, for the S-Bahn to Ostbahnhof and for the train to Berchtesgaden.
4. You don't really need a car in Berchtesgaden. The buses go everywhere you want to go.
5. The Eagles Nest will be closed, but the Dok Center is open (reduced hours in March), and is well worth seeing.
6. I would pass on Salzburg. I spent a day there, and it was nice, but there is so much to see in Berchtesgaden that is better than Salzburg. If you do go to Salzburg, there is a bus that runs hourly between Berchtesgaden Hbf and Salzburg (the Watzmann express); it takes 50 minutes. Plus there is the train via Freilassing in about 1h05. I would suggest that you purchase two BGL-Tagestickets Bus & Bahn for 14€ per adult (your under 15 children ride free with you). This ticket gives you unlimited use of both the bus and train, so you can take the faster bus in the morning and come back on the train if you stay later in Salzburg, past the last bus trip.
7. You show doing the Romantic Road from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Rothenburg, then on to Munich in one day. Doing the Romantic Road from GaP to Rothenburg by the actual Road, then returning to Munich by the fastest route would take 6¾ hrs, just about all day. And that doesn't even include time to see the towns along the way (Oberammergau, Landsberg aL, Nördlingen, Dinkelsbühl, ...), not to mention Rothenburg. If you can't spend a couple of days on the RR, I would not bother.

Quite frankly, I think you agenda is way to rushed. Slow down, see fewer places, but make them quality visits.

Posted by
19092 posts

Note- The train connections for Prague - Vienna are a minimum 4.5 hours trip.

Actually, between 9am and 8pm, Austrian Rail has 6 non-stop RailJet connections between Vienna and Prague (every 2 hours) that take 4:03. Full fare tickets for 2 adults and 2 children (9 & 13), w/ seat reservations, are 221€ (about $260).

That less-than-1-hour flight, well, unless you stay at airports you probably have to get to and from downtown (Hbf) and the airport - 15 min in Vienna, 25 min in Prag - both by bus. And you don't just jump off the plane the minute it lands and onto the bus. You have to wait to deplane), then find your ground transportation - another 20 minutes, at least. And you need to get to the airport at least an hour before flight time. So expect to spend two hours, at least, from downtown to airport and airport to downtown. Add to that a 55 minute flight, and you can see by flying you'll only save a little more than an hour.

According to Expedia, Austrian Air has four flights in the same time span. Tickets for 2 adults and 2 children (unlike the train, you children are still full fare) will cost $833. And transportation to and from the airports costs extra.

So, essentially you are spending over $600 to save an hour travel time, and spending it riding buses, walking through airports, sitting in a waiting room, and in a crowded airline economy class seat. Or you could save all that money and spend that extra hour sitting in a more comfortable train seat.

Posted by
1360 posts

Spend your first several nights in Munich and then base in one place in southern Bavaria and do day trips to see the other places on your list. Prioritize and be flexible with your time because you may decide you're driving/trying to see too much. BTW - driving in Germany and Austria are easy.

Posted by
4299 posts

I loved the two nights we spent in Fussen but not the castle. I enjoyed the local Fussen museum more than I did the castle, but of course would never have gone to Fussen if my daughter hadn't wanted to see the castle. I think that moving around so much is going to get tiring. I think your children will like Rothenburg better than some of the other places on your itinerary, so I definitely wouldn't skip it and you need to spend the night there so you can go on the Night Watchman's tour. Unless you are big fans of Sound of Music, I would skip Salzburg. We loved Vienna-several interesting museums-look at RS guide.