Please sign in to post.

2020 dates

I’ve narrowed down my dates for my German/Austria trip to 3 possibilities.

May 24th through June 7th
August 23rd through September 7th
August 31st through September 13th

Thoughts?

I know there is the Ascension Day holiday on May 30th would that be an issue.

How about the weather? I’m leaning toward the middle date but will the weather be nicer in May/June?

Posted by
2224 posts

How shall we say something about that dates if we do not know where you travel to. Only saying Germany / Austria is much too vague.

Also important to know that the weather can be very different at the same date. The last days we had 34c in Berlin but 19c around Bremen. On Zugspitze it was even colder.

General tip: Look at climate tables of your destinations.

Posted by
304 posts

Sorry. I’m going for the Oberammergau Passion Play. In general I’ll be in Munich and Bavaria the first week and Salzburg and Vienna the second.

Posted by
7027 posts

My first choice would be the last (8/31-9/13) because Sept or Oct is my favorite time to travel. I love the autumn weather and the harvest festivals. Impossible to predict the weather but normally will still be quite hot in August and even September but usually pretty dry. May/June is usually mild weather but greater chance of rain. Now that's a vague generalization but with weather, especially lately, it's getting harder and harder to predict.

Posted by
2224 posts

Example climate table of Oberammergau. Of course no guarantee for weather - it can also rain a few days permanently. You can search your other destinations there too.

If you have any allergy against grass pollen choose one of the last two dates.

Posted by
14507 posts

My vote is for choice #1. If you plan to go to Munich but don't care to see Oktoberfest, don't pick choice 3.

Yes, the weather will be nicer in May. Choices 2 and 3...you can expect the weather to be hot.

Posted by
1289 posts

It's a throw of the dice weather wise. For me the first or the last choice. As mentioned August can/will be very hot. Remember no air-conditioning in most Gasthof/Gasthaus and small Hotels. Lucky to get a fan! I recently took a four overnight vacation to Oberaudorf (27-29 May 2019), but we had some unseasonably almost non-stop rainy weather and we came home two days early. September is generally nice in the mountains. If possible be flexible and make the most of the good weather when you can.

Posted by
10218 posts

Oktoberfest doesn't start until September 19, so you don't have to worry about the crowds or increased prices with your last date. I would certainly look for something with AC that time of year if you can.

Posted by
14507 posts

Even though the actual start of Oktoberfest is not until that date, I would bet the small hotels and Pensionen would already be booked up, or if you found a room, the price could be 40-50% higher.

Don't choose #3 if you plan on being in Munich. If you're going to Munich anyway, #1 is much better. My Pension will still offer its regular price for a single in choice #1.

Very true on no AC, should that be important to you...not to me.

My Pension in Munich does not offer AC at all. At most, there might be a fan, if they don't run out. When I stay there, I don't expect either, ie, I've seen my single room with and without a fan.

Posted by
304 posts

Thanks for your input everyone. I’ve decided on the spring dates. So 346 days to go.