Please sign in to post.

2019 Christmas from Prague to Munich

I've planned my very first backpacking trip to Europe in the coming Christmas.
Decided to spend 7days in London, 4days in Prague and 4days in Munich.
We planned to have flight from London to Prague and train from Prague to Munich in Christmas Eve.
However, I can't check any train Czech Railways website between the last 2weeks of the year.
Is there any convenient traffic suggestion from Prague to Munich during Christmas?

Posted by
2332 posts

European railway timetables change on the second sunday in december, so it's way too early to look for connections. Looking up time tables for 1th december may give an impression what's on offer. Look up the Czech rail website and check for "Europe first" tickets to see real (cheap) prices, and not the overpriced ones offered by other vendors. Alternatively to the train there are bus connections (30 to 50 min. faster; timetables are not yet published either).

Posted by
2332 posts

Bus is much faster?
Is it convenient and safe?

Not much - depending on the connection (e.g., stop at MUC airport or Regensburg) 30-60 min, provided there are no staus (which are numerous). Save - absolutly. Carriers like DB ICBus, RegioJet and Leo Express are reputable companies and buses are modern. Convenient? depends on your notion of convenience. The train offers more space, a better (but not really good) selection of trinks and food and you are not restricted to that single smelly toilet. But the bus goes non-stop, you have the same travel companions for the entire journey and your luggage is stored savely in the trunk. Prices for both means of transport start at approx. €15 if booked well in advance. Your choice.

Posted by
67 posts

Comment to sla019

Prices for both means of transport start at approx. €15 if booked well in advance.

Where exactly can you find this price for a train ticket? Sounds too good to be true. I am sure it is, just curious where someone can find it. Thanks for your excellent tip.

Posted by
67 posts

Thanks NickB, found one using your suggested website for:

Ticket 32,00
Bayern-Ticket
2 adults
Day of validity Mo, 09.12.2019

Posted by
2332 posts

Where exactly can you find this price for a train ticket?

@Steve:
Please look up the e-shop of Czech Rail (https://www.cd.cz/en/eshop/). Prices of discounted non-refundable tickets start at 364 czk (€14.31). Look for direct trains and avoid the expensive bus/train combo via Nuremberg operated by DB. And never buy a Prague to Munich Ticket or vv. from DB since trains are operated by a competitor (jointly with CD).

Posted by
67 posts

Thanks again to sla019 as I was able to buy two senior tickets using the Czech website you sent out for travel from Nurnberg, DE to Praha.CZ for only 342 CZK / $14.57! Was WAY cheaper than using DB's website.