Please sign in to post.

2017 Sim Card Purchase in Germany

What is the best way to purchase a Sim Card in Germany. Easy sign up and ease of use would be good! Looking for current 2017 posts.

Nancy

Posted by
7 posts

Arrived in Frankfurt Oct 12...
Went to purchase SIM card in airport, they suggested it would be much cheaper to buy one in town...and so it began.

I’ll try and make this short-Deutsche Telekom would NOT sell us a SIM card, because we couldn’t produce ID with a German address. Hotel and/or friends address not good enough. Bought a Lebara SIM card for 30 euros after giving them my passport and they set up my old iPhone 5 with it. 250+ minutes of talk.
Blew through 3 GBs of data in 3 days, mostly on map apps, but only 4 -6 hours worth of driving. Purchased new voucher and topped up on way to Berlin. Painfully slow to load anything. Gave up using maps and used offline Maps for Me successfully.
Went in to Deutsche Telekom to ask for help with phone calls. They laughed and said ‘you didn’t buy an Audi’, what did you expect...
But they did help us.
And this is all with my husband who is fluent in German-would have been pretty difficult if it had been me muddling along.
So good luck!