Please sign in to post.

2016 VACTION

My Cruz ship ends in Barcalona. I want to trvel to Montreux,Switzerland.The Chateau de Chillon area.Then on to Salzburg, Germany to see Berchtesgadener lands (EGALS NEST). Then I will be going to AMSTRADAM/BRUSSEL and on to EDINBURGH SCOTLAND where my trip will end. I will be staying in each place 3 or 4 days except Scottland 5 days. Can you please put the countries in the right order for travel,also help me to plan best mode for travel and provide a list of places to see and stay in country. Thanks a lot

Posted by
12040 posts

Actually, "Brussel" is the spelling in Dutch...

Posted by
8293 posts

Try to have a look at a map of Western Europe for starters. Then buy a guide book, maybe Rick's "Europe through the Back Door". I don't see how anyone can map out your trip and tell you what to see and where to stay and how to get there, when you are so vague about it all yourself. Do some homework.

Posted by
1520 posts

Suggest you allow a couple of days to enjoy Barcelona.
I will leave it to other posters to help define the optimum routing for your itinerary. However, please consider minimizing your luggage in order to reduce travel stress, and expense, for such a lengthy muti-city itinerary.
Njoy a gr8 journee. ;)

Posted by
149 posts

I don't have any advice since I haven't traveled in Europe as much as some of these other posters. But I would look at a map and see if the locations look like they would flow logically. But regardless of how you travel, have a great trip.

I also wanted to say that I'm somewhat scared to post on this forum since there seems to be so much criticism by posters of things like spelling and how people travel. I recently joined but am surprised by the criticism or snarky comments people post regarding advice asked. Aren't we all adults? If you want to be so critical, maybe someone should start their own website and make it by invite only. I think if you have nothing nice to say, they don't say anything at all.

That being said, I can tell that there are some travelers here that I value what they say even though I haven't been here long.

Happy Travels to All!
'

Posted by
32200 posts

maude,

I'd have to spend some time working on the details, but a few initial thoughts and questions.....

• The order you've listed looks reasonably good, however I'd have to look at the best transportation options between locations.
  • For visiting Chateau de Chillon, you could also stay in Lausanne.
  • When visiting Berchtesgaden, are you interested in seeing anything besides the Eagle's Nest? There's also the Dokumentation Centre and a Salt Mine there which can be toured.
  • Are you planning to visit the Eagle's Nest as a day trip from Salzburg?
  • Would you prefer to visit the Eagle's Nest on your own or with a group tour?
  • One of the easiest travel methods from Amsterdam to Edinburgh will be a budget flight. Check easyJet for some examples.
  • It would help to know if you've travelled in Europe before, as there will be a bit of a "learning curve" if this is your first visit.

The best method to plan both sightseeing in each location as well as reliable places to stay is to use either the Rick Steves country or city-specific guidebooks for each location. You should be able to find copies at your local Library.

What time of year will this trip be taking place?

Posted by
8889 posts

akhoosier, "I also wanted to say that I'm somewhat scared to post on this forum since there seems to be so much criticism by posters of things like spelling and how people travel.". Don't be afraid, we rarely bite tourists,
The posters here are perfectly willing to answer questions. We are all volunteers here, and are prone to occasional outbursts and cynicism when encountered with a post that screams "where to we start with this one".
We do not have a the time or inclinations to plan a complete trip for somebody. You need to go to a paid trip planner to do that. We equally cannot provide lists of hotels or other places to stay. I could take up a new job as trip planning consultant and charge for that service.

We respect posters who have done the basic planning themselves, know what sort of places they want to go, can spell them and are looking for details. If you miss-spell place names, we are never quite sure where exactly you mean.

Yes, all travellers should print out a map and mark up their route on it, it servers as a good "sanity check" of their plans.

To maudell1212. Barcelona --> Montreux --> Salzburg --> Amsterdam --> Brussels --> Scotland is perfectly feasible.
In most cases each 'hop' is too far for train and better done by air.
By Amsterdam / Brussels are you counting this as one place or two? These are only ~2 hours apart by train and better done by train.
Why Montreux? Why are you going to Switzerland? If it is to see the mountains there are better places to go than Montreux.
Why Brussels? Brussels is not the most popular tourist city in Belgium, Brugge is.

You need to decide what you want to see in each country, then you can decide where to stay.