Please sign in to post.

2, 3, or 4 Person Seniors Backpacking Tour In Germany, Switzerland, Tuscany Region of Italy

Would any older solo travelers be interested in what I propose below?:

First, about me: 70 years old, retired, single, in good health, live in Colorado, active, think young. Last year did 2 Rick Tours, Italy and Germany/Austria/Switzerland, loved everything about them, especially the people in the tour group.
Will take more Rick Tours each year going forward ....... have much more exploring of Europe to do, but would rather not do it by myself.

This year, August/September, want to do something different, more adventuresome, than another Rick Tour.
Note: The "backpacking" won't be like young kids do in summer -- would be a little more comfortable as explained below.

I'm proposing this:
3 or 4 of us of similar age, interests, and abilities, wanting to travel but rather not by yourself, would meet up at an agreed location within our travel interests, then travel together for 3 weeks or longer.
Travel would be by regional train mostly, buying economy tickets as we go (definitely not walking everywhere!! ... not that kind of backpacking!!).

Lodging would be a variety of choices, including bed & breakfasts, pensions, some zimmer frei places in smaller communities, every few days perhaps a nice hotel. And yes, why not try a hostel for the experience?.
A few major destinations might be agreed on in advance, reservations made in advance ...... but other destinations would be day-to-day planning.

If a group of 4, and not all in agreement, splitting up into 2's would be OK, then getting back together in the evening would be good.
Any real "backpacking" would be during the day as we see the sights.
Also, if one cannot commit to 3 weeks or longer, can end the trip sooner. Same if any personal chemistry or other issues develop, then each can separate from the group.

The benefits of traveling together (as senior citizens) would be safety, security, and assistance to each other if any difficulties arose.
Another benefit would be more fun traveling as a small group, and maybe lead to a similar trip each year.
Also, this can be as low-budget a trip as your budget dictates ...... for myself, I will do low-budget mainly for the challenge of it. The low cost lodging described above fits into the low-budget idea.

Hopefully you get the main idea of this.

If interested, reply back either on this forum thread, or a private message.
If general inquiries, I suggest on this same thread for the benefit of others interested.
Later, more detailed questions, about the trip or each other, could be by the private message mechanism.
As far as getting to know one another, we can start on-line, then start using the phone.
(and if as many as 15 or 20 people are interested, I don't know yet how to handle that!)

Jim Parks, Lone Tree, Colorado.

Posted by
2252 posts

Interesting and excellent idea, Jim. Yes, I THINK I would be interested although I have to say I am not much for carrying a lot of weight on my back anymore. The hostel idea is intriguing, though! I have a few trips already planned for the summer and fall this year but would be interested in a future trip if all goes as you think it will. One of those trips (London) is with my son and family who live in Lone Tree; I'm in Franktown. I plan to follow this thread and see where it goes. Thank you for posting this! Lots of food for thought.
Andi

Posted by
31 posts

Hello, Andi in Franktown, and thanks.

To clarify about the "backpacking" ---- and to use your comment to clarify to all:
Means just carrying, during the day, water, snacks, extra shirt, camera, small things for day use.
Definitely NOT heavy stuff or supplies for several days, I would not want to do that, either.
Carry-on luggage and such would be left at our lodging places, then carried aboard the train when we change locations.

I'll keep you posted, and you will see other comments as they appear on the thread.

Jim Parks

Posted by
4407 posts

Duplicae Thread.

This thread is also posted under the 'Travel Partners' category! Please post your response there.