Please sign in to post.

1st time to Germany!

My husband has a business trip to Germany in 2 weeks. He will fly to Munich and spend 3 leisure days there then onto the conference in Ulm. Can someone recommend: 1) where to stay in Munich that is convenient to the airport and 2) how to travel to Ulm. He prefers a nicer, upscale hotel and not a lot of walking. We know nothing! Thanks in advance.

Posted by
4 posts

Great. I'll research this. Meanwhile, if someone could just direct me to a hotel so I can get that out of the way, that would help.

Posted by
980 posts

"where to stay in Munich that is convenient to the airport ... He prefers a nicer, upscale hotel and not a lot of walking"

Can you give us a hint on what his definition of "nicer, upscale hotel" would be? For some this means Shangri-La Hotels for others it means Motel-One.

Assuming he means something closer to Shangri-La end of things there is a Four Seasons (Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski) right on Maximillian Str. It's very conveniently located to the city center but not on a direct line from the airport. Alternatively, I've had many colleagues stay at the chain hotels near Rosenheimerplatz: Hilton Munich City, Holiday Inn, Novotel. These are all fine hotels for business travelers and easy to get to from the airport as you just take the S8 line direct to Rosenheimerplatz.

To travel to Ulm, just take any of the direct trains form Munich Hauptbanhof. It takes about 1:20.

DJ

Posted by
4 posts

Yes, after looking up the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski I see I needed more definition! Shall we say under $200/night.

Posted by
419 posts

I would suggest the Eden Hotel Wolff. It is directly across the street from the main train station from where the shuttle to the airport leaves.
That's also where he can get the train to Ulm.
The hotel is very good, clean and comfortable, excellent restaurant, and with a helpful, English-speaking staff.
I stay there at least twice a year and have always been very satisfied.

Posted by
19630 posts

If he wants 3 leisure days in Munich, don't stay near the airport, stay in Munich where there are lots of things to see and do. The previously mentioned Hilton Munich City Center at Rosenheimer Platz is probably his idea of an up-scale hotel. Fabulous breakfast, and you can get to the hotel lobby direct from the Rosenheimer Platz S-bahn station. The S-bahn trains from the airport, both S-1 and S-8, stop there, and they alternate on a 10 minute schedule. The city airport day ticket is 12.80 EUR and gets you from the airport to your city destination and use of the city transport (S-bahn, U-bahn, tram, bus) for the rest of the day. A 3-day city transport card is 16.50 EUR for the rest of the time there.

To get to Ulm, take the S-bahn to the Hauptbahnhof (main train staion). There are direct ICE trains every hour to Ulm.

Posted by
980 posts

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like he is looking for a more standard business traveler hotel. In that case I'd narrow my recommendation to the chain hotels near Rosenheimerplatz: Hilton Munich City, Holiday Inn, Novotel. Take a look at each and pick which ever you fancy (I've stayed at all three and would recommend all three).

The Rosenheimerplatz station is smaller with only 2 tracks so easier for a first timer to navigate. The area is less hectic than the area surrounding the Hauptbahnhof but there is still a lot of restaurants and shops. Last, it has as good connections to the city center as the area near the Hauptbahnhof and better access to the Deutsches Museum and parks along the Isar.

DJ

Posted by
12040 posts

Although you probably won't find a room there for under $200 per night, I really enjoyed Hotel Bayerische Hof. The location is on a quiet street, but within easy walking distance to most of the popular sites. The breakfast was excellent and the hotel has a first rate wellness center.