Please sign in to post.

Christmas Markets - Germany

Please share your favorite Christmas markets in Germany.

I have been to few elsewhere in Europe, but never in Germany.

We are thinking late November for 10 days.

Posted by
12040 posts

(Best markets are when you know the people with whom you imbibe the Glühwein). But for a tourist...

Mannheim doesn't offer that much for tourists, but I really enjoy their market. I'm not really sure exactly why, but I just like the ambience.

Lindau has one of the best small-town markets I've seen. You couldn't pick a better location- on the Bodensee harbor looking towards the Alps. They usually have some unique regional foods as well.

Oberstdorf, being a somewhat upscale Alpine resort, has more artisanal crafts than the usual junk most markets sell. But it usually lasts only one weekend.

Posted by
481 posts

We've enjoy the Munich Christmas market in the Marienplatz. There are always a few unique booths where you can buy something to bring home. Also, we loved the market in the Schwabbing district of Munich; an 'artsy/craftsy' market one.

Although Rothenburg ob der Tauber doesn't have a large market, we love to go there just because the Rothenburg town is quintessential Germany and SO beautiful at Christmas.

Also enjoyed Regensburg and Bamberg's markets. Not too fond of Nuernberg's market, although it's the largest one in Germany; too many people.

Posted by
8934 posts

My favorite big city market is Stuttgart, then would come Mainz, Frankfurt, & Heidelberg.

My favorite small town markets are only on one weekend, and those would be Idstein and Büdingen.

A longer market is in Seligenstadt, but on 2 of the weekends, they have a special market in the Abbey offering high quality hand made items. Beautiful atmosphere in this ancient abbey.

My all time favorite though is Esslingen with its' medieval market as well as the normal market. Just a short train ride from Stuttgart.

This year looking to go to Marburg, Eltville, and Erfurt if possible.

Posted by
868 posts

You can find nice and good Christmas markets all over Germany, but personally I don't like

a) big markets
b) markets in towns/cities that were flattened in WW2 and
c) markets with many tourists

Which means no Nuremberg, no Cologne, no Berlin, no Stuttgart, no Rothenburg etc.. I like them intimate, in a romantic setting, and with a local flavour.
And my favorite Christmas markets are in the Ore mountains, to the south of Dresden. That's the area were most of Germanys Christmas traditions come from. You can read mor about it here:
Hugging the Czech Republic's border, east Germany's Ore Mountains influence Christmas worldwide
The German towns that Christmas traditions sprung from
Germany's Christmas toy towns
The birthplace of the bauble

Posted by
1477 posts

We have visited markets 4 times in recent years.

Regensburg is for us the best combination of town and market:

http://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Advent-2010/Regensburg/15028020_t5NQGm

http://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Advent-2010/Thurn-and-Taxis-Palace-Market/15030947_4WtqMc

Rothenburg is where we get the best photos and often enjoy ourselves the most.

http://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Advent-2010/Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber/15010043_Ck957T

Of the large city markets we enjoyed Stuttgart better than München or Nürnberg. If you go there, save and evening for a visit to Esslingen on the Neckar:

http://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Other-1/Esslingen-2013/35504333_SfNrdp

In truth we have enjoyed several more locations. It is a great time of year to visit. It is only really crowded on the market squares in the evening. Due to all the parties, it is wise to make reservations for supper.

Posted by
16 posts

My favorite Christmas Market is located in Bad Wimpfen, on the Nekar River. Fantastic views, great Medieval town. Fantastic selection of locally crafted items unlike the bigger markets that are importing from as far away as China!
There are many great places to eat, don't miss the chocolate shop! The regular shops close up on Sunday, plan your visit for a Saturday to get the most out of your visit.

Posted by
2779 posts

Seriously: Frankfurt! It's one of the oldest and one of the nicest there is. It's in a square surrounded by half-timbered houses, a cathedral, a church and it's just very nice and romantic. It's a city Christmas market, not a small-town one. But I think it's even nicer than Nuremberg.

Posted by
1275 posts

In my area I like Regensburg as it is three markets at three market squares (1 large and two small) and four if you include Turn and Thaxis. The Christmas lights in the city are nice too with plenty of cafes and places for a drink and something to eat.

I like Landshutt too. Not really a big Christmas market, but a nice market and town.

Forcheim is a nice small Christmas market and they have the Christmas Angel every night in the windows of the famous old timber frame Rathaus decorated as a Christmas calendar. Bamberg is nearby too.

Augsburg has a nice Christmas market and is famous for the show in the evening in the Rathaus windows with people dressed and acting as mechanical manikins. Munich is only a half hour train ride away too.

All close around 20:00 in the evening. My advice for the best experience is go to in the evening when it's dark. Make you first stop a Glühwein stand and drink a cup. You will enjoy the market better, the cup makes a good souvenir and the crowds won't bother you as much.

Posted by
491 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to incorporate some sightseeing before delving into the markets. Flying into Munich.

If we are in Munich, does this mean we can travel up to five people, for a relatively low price by train to Ulm?

Also, is this the same in all the regions in Germany i.e. up to five for under 40 euros once you are in that state or region? For example if we moved on to Heidelberg, is it this price to get to Frankfurt?

Posted by
8889 posts

@Ginger.
I think you are talking about the DB "Länder Tickets". Details (in English) are here. The tickets are for one (or sometimes two) "Länder", which is usually translated into English as States. Click on the map for the relevant ticket for each Land.
The Bavarian version costs €22 for the first person, plus €4 for each additional person travelling together up to 5. A very good deal. It is valid on "regional trains* (i.e. NOT IC or ICE), including S-Bahn, U-Bahn, Tram and bus in the cities. Prices vary for other Länder.
A map of all the lines covered by the Bavarian Länder Ticket is here, and it does include Ulm.

You cannot use a Länder ticket from Frankfurt to Heidelberg because Frankfurt-am-Main is in Hessen (map here), but Heidelberg is in Baden-Württemburg (map here). But there are plenty of other cheap tickets available. In this case advance booking a fast ICE train is probably the best option.

Note most Christmas markets start last weekend in November, and many stop on Christmas Eve (24th December).

Posted by
8934 posts

There is also the Happy Weekend ticket that one can use on all Regional trains in Germany on Sat. and Sun. or the "Quer Durch Deutschland" (all across Germany) ticket that you can use on the other days of the week. Both bargains are explained on the Deutsche Bahn website. Both are valid for up to 5 people.

A lot of Christmas markets begin during the week before that last weekend, so on the 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, and most of them end before the 24th. Only a very few are open on the 24th, as most of them close on the 22nd or 23rd. There are also a very few that will be open on the 25th or after Christmas. Check each city to find the opening and closing dates.

Posted by
6591 posts

About the Länder Tickets, Happy Weekend, and QDL day passes for 1-5 persons previously mentioned:

• All of them require you to use the regional trains. To find schedules at the DB site for these trains only, be sure to click on "only local transport" under "means of transport" at THIS PAGE.

• You can buy these day passes in Germany at station ticket machines on the day of travel or in advance if you wish. But since these passes are always the same price and never sell out, there is no advantage to advance purchase for most travelers.

• "For example if we moved on to Heidelberg, is it this price to get to Frankfurt?" Ulm is a good place to stay over if you are using Länder Tickets since it's on the border of 2 states and allows you to use two different Länder Tickets. Munich - Ulm: use the Bayern Ticket. Ulm - Heidelberg: use the Baden-Württemberg ticket. But Heidelberg - Frankfurt crosses state the Hessen - B-W state line, so you'd need either the QDL or HW day pass.

• Prices vary. The base price for the Bayern ticket is €23 + €4 per additional person. Same with the B-W ticket. The QDL base price is €44, + €8 per additional person. The HW ticket is a flat €44 for 1-5 persons. You may pay less if children are involved - see rules.

• Links to ticket information:

HAPPY WEEKEND TICKET
QDL TICKET
LÄNDER TICKETS