Please sign in to post.

Weather

Hi everyone
Going on the GAS tour in early September 2015 -
Do I need warm weather or cool weather clothing ? Or plan on the general layering trick ?
Raincoat needed?? I have been the UK - keeping dry is a necessity
Thanks -

Posted by
5835 posts

Why don't you check with the tour organizer? RS FAQ: Can you help me plan my pre- or post-tour travel?
Email or phone the Tour Department at tour@ricksteves.com or 425-608-4217 with your questions. The Tour Department is full of Rick Steves tour guides who are very well traveled — you're not reaching a call center — and we can usually answer your pre/post-tour travel questions.

Posted by
8938 posts

Weather in Germany is one of those things that no one can ever answer with more than a guesstimate. Have had gorgeous, mild weather in Sept. as well as cool and rainy. Most of the time though, it is similar to any other 4 season area in the temperate zones, like Ohio, Indiana, New York, etc. Mountain areas may be cooler and mornings as well as evenings may be chilly.

Check online for averages for the past few years in all of the areas that you are visiting.

I like to wear long sleeved blouses, t-shirts, or sweatshirts, that I can then roll up the sleeves if it gets too warm, and have a jacket with me. Choose a rain jacket that is stylish and it can do double duty. Chances are good that it won't rain, but better to have it than not.

Posted by
635 posts

I just got back from nine days in Bavaria -- mostly cloudy and cool with occasional rain (sometimes heavy), with only a couple of clear, warm days. Locals apologized for the lousy weather this summer, and said last summer was unusually hot.

Gee, sounds like where I live!

Posted by
12172 posts

September is my favorite month in Germany. It's the time for lots of harvest/wine festivals. The weather is often ideal - warm, but not hot, sunny days with cool, but not cold, nights. It stays that way, getting gradually cooler until sometime in mid-October when it turns cold (the date depends on the year) for the winter.

I'd plan layers because you will most likely want short sleeves in the day and a light sweater (or similar) in the evening.

Unfortunately, weather is weather; it's never perfectly predictable. Pack a rainshell, just in case.

Posted by
122 posts

I travelled Germany two years ago in October - mostly in the rain. Everyone told me: you should have been here in September! We had glorious sunshine. Go figure...

Posted by
12040 posts

Wait until the week before your trip to get an accurate forecast. It's been cooler and wetter than usual, but that could change.

Rain doesn't usually pour heavily and doesn't last long. Unless you plan on hiking, an umbrella should be fine.