Please sign in to post.

Cell phones

Before leaving for Germany several weeks ago, I researched cell phones. I wanted a basic phone to call family in Germany and Switzerland while in Europe. I was not totally convinced by the options I found online and opted not to purchase one. While in Germany, I happened to walk into a "Tschibo" store (their main product is coffee). There I found a basic cell phone for just 14.95 Euros. I activated it online, but you can also activate it by calling. After registering I had a 5 Euro calling credit. The minute within Germany costs just 9 cents. Calling Switzerland cost more. 39 cents per minute I think. You can reload the phone at any Tschibo store. You will not lose the money you have loaded. I did not try calling the US with this cell phone. But that should work also. This phone is just what I wanted, an inexpensive way to call family in Europe while in Europe.

Posted by
507 posts

AT&T advised me to
1). Have my cell phone unlocked here in US a week before I leave.

2) remove the SIM card.

3) purchase a SIM card when I land in Europe.

The European prices as you show are cheaper than international rates from IS companies.

Posted by
12040 posts

"I happened to walk into a "Tschibo" store (their main product is coffee)." Anyone else besides me noticed these stores and is puzzled about their range of wares? It seems to consist of coffee, underwear, kitchen appliances, and now apparently cell phones.