Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Germany

We are spending December in Germany and don't know where to spend Christmas Eve and Day. I have heard that Nuremberg is overrated. Is that what you have found? It could be a large city or small village. We are a retired couple, so do not necessary revel in nightlife, but are open to most any activities. Any advice?

Posted by
12040 posts

"I have heard that Nuremberg is overrated." If you're thinking of the Christmas Market, yes it is. There's nothing wrong with it, but it isn't that much better than any number of other Weihnachtsmärkte throughout the country. But most markets will have ended by Christmas Eve anyway.

Christmas Eve and Day can be complicated because many restaurants are not open. You would probably do best to consider a major city (Münich, Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt) or a winter sports resort (Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Oberstdorf).

Posted by
1289 posts

Anywhere near a ski region in the south will be packed. Remember 26 Dec. is also a German Holiday. Most Christmas Markets are closed by 24 Dec. Nuremberg is a nice town, but not sure what is going on other than Family and Church 24-25 Dec. No guarantee of snow in the mountains either, but that's where I would try to go. Many small towns to look at, like Reit im Winkl, Obertsdorf, Aschau etc, but as I said will be packed.

Posted by
419 posts

I have spent Christmas in Munich several times and liked it very much. There is always something to do in a big city, or just sit in your hotel lobby with a coffee and look at the decorated tree.
Sometimes the hotel restaurant will close on te 24th or 25th, but there will almost always be food available in the bar.
Have a good trip!