Please sign in to post.

Munich -- Vienna -- Berchtesgaden -- Munich

Hi gang,

I had such a great time last month at the Munich opera festival, that I'm planning to return next summer! Thanks for all of the travel tips.

I've never been to Vienna, so would like to spend a few days there in between some of the festival performances. I also didn't get a chance to go to Berchtesgaden (Doc Center et al) on my recent trip.

Is there an ideal itinerary to make that work? Can I easily go from Vienna to Berchtesgaden then back to Munich?

thanks!

Posted by
19092 posts

Vienna to Berchtesgaden will require one or more changes of conveyances. You could take a direct train to the Salzburg Hbf and a bus (RVO 840) from there to Berchtesgaden. An all-rail connection would require a local train from Freilassing, Germany, to Berchtesgaden, and I don't think any train direct from Vienna stops in Freilassing, so you would have to take a train from Salzburg Hbf to Freilassing. You can get Savings Fare tickets from the Bahn website for as low as 29€/pers.

For Berchtesgaden to Munich, you must again change in Freilassing. Hourly Regional Express (RE) trains and most express trains from Salzburg to Munich stop in Freilassing. A Bayern-Ticket (23€ 1st person, 4€/pers up to 5 total) will cover your travel all the way from Berchtesgaden to Munich if you use the Regional Express.

You could also do Freilassing to Munich on a faster EC for "as low as" 19€ for one, 29€ for two, but that ticket would be train specific and non-refundable.