Please sign in to post.

St Goar or Bacharach

It looks like I'll only have an afternoon... which I assumed would be too rushed to do both? Which would you all prefer?

Thanks!

Posted by
4 posts

... and I might stay over in one of them if that sways the decision.

Posted by
6590 posts

They're only 10 minutes apart by train. St. Goar's main pull is Rheinfels - you might spend 1-2 hours there. Bacharach doesn't take long - maybe have a meal there. You should be alright with an afternoon for both.

Cafe Rusticana

Posted by
19052 posts

If I could only do one, it would be St. Goar and the Rheinfels ruins. I spent 2½ hrs there, but then, I am fascinated by castles.

Posted by
8377 posts

St Goar. Bacharach is wonderful place, but not much to see besides shops & restaurants. Climb to the castle/hostel is not worth the time it would take from your afternoon. Bacharach is a place to relax and enjoy life not sightsee. My opinion.

Posted by
233 posts

Another vote for St. Goar and the Rheinfels. I grew up loving American forts, and Rheinfels reminded me of one. Fun to wander around. Bring a flashlight!

Posted by
4724 posts

Unless you are really into castles and fortifications, Bacharach would, imo, be a better choice. A bit touristy but also a great place to relax, stroll around a real place, and just "be". TC

Posted by
12172 posts

I love Rheinfels but like Bacharach a little better, as a town, than St. Goar. If you have no interest in the castle, you can do Rick's self-guided walking tour around Bacharach.

Posted by
8934 posts

This is one of those decisions where there isn't a right or wrong answer. If you are in St Goar, you have Burg Rheinfels, and 2 ancient churches which are worth some time visiting, but after a few hours, you are done. There is just the one main street, and that is it. Though there are a few smaller side streets, the town doesn't really loan itself to picturesque strolls.

Bacharach is much larger, has lots more fachwerk, more restaurants, and does offer nice day or evening strolls. The atmosphere is more like what I think people desire when they visit a Rhein village. You have city walls and towers to walk along, a cool old church set up high overlooking the town, a great chapel ruin, quaint looking back streets, and just a very pretty little town. It doesn't feel as touristy as St Goar either.

If you can find the time to visit Burg Rheinfels, do it, as it is in my opinion the best castle on the Rhein to visit, then maybe head over to Bacharach for dinner and a quick stroll around town.

Posted by
4 posts

It sounds like we should be able to do both. We will begin at St Goar and make sure to do Rhienfels. We booked our stay in Baccarach so we'll be able to have some time later in the day even if it's just milling around. Sounds like two nice places and I think we'll have enough time to get the flavor of both places.

One more day down! I now have three nights booked of nine!