Please sign in to post.

Stuttgart, Germany

My wife and I are currently planning a trip to Europe for this August/September. As a part of the trip we are going to be visiting the Porsche factory and museum. Can anyone on here give me some advice as to where to stay while in Stuttgart? We will only be there one night. Although we are not party animals, we are looking for something with a good location that is close to bars, restaurants, and possibly some things to look at. A safe location would be nice as well. The price of the hotel is not a huge concern but as always we are looking for the lowest price for the best accommodations.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions anyone may have.

Posted by
7248 posts

Hi, I was in the Boblingen area of Stuttgart for a business trip, and I would recommend the town of Herrenberg if you would like a smaller village location where you can walk to everything and enjoy the town square, etc. with shops & restaurants. The town has a wonderful restaurant which I highly recommend - Gasthof Hesen. The restaurant has a hotel attached to it (I stayed in the industrial part of Stuttgart.)

Posted by
1479 posts

We have stayed at the City Hotel twice. It is near public transportation (ubahn and sbahn stations) and has some parking immediately in front of it. It is in a quiet community within easy walking of the city center where we found several restaurants, shopping, etc. They have a good breakfast and a very helpful staff. (English spoken if that matters.) Rooms are small but that seems to be the norm in big city hotels that are not too costly. We found the hotel to be a good value given the location.

Posted by
2779 posts

How about the Dormero hotel at the SI Center? It's a social media hotel, brand new, two huge screens in the room, box-spring beds and connected with the nightlife mall SI Zentrum which is heavily frequented by American expats. One of the largest US bases in Europe is right next door - and public transport is in the basement. Also it's easy to get there from the airport.

Hotel has got free wifi, free Sky TV, free English language stations, free mini-bar: http://www.dormero-hotel-stuttgart.de/zimmer/

Posted by
2026 posts

Eat spaetzle. We were in Germany about two weeks when while in Munich I realized I hadn't had any yet. I asked our hotel clerk where to go for spaetzle, and he replied, " Do you know Stuttgart?" I couldn't recall a nearby street or restaurant by that name, and finally told him, " Well, I know there is a city in Germany by that name." And he said, "Yes. Go there for spaetzle." I guess they take their regional cuisine pretty seriously. Sadly, we never did make it to Stutgartt that evening, but we did find a whopper of a pork knuckle with a side of you-know-what around the corner. A fond memory...have a great trip. Guten appetit!

Posted by
154 posts

You have received some great information so far. Since it is an area we don't research we don't have any recommendations we can share. I have visited Stuttgart but I stayed with a friend so I don't have anything I can personally recommend either unfortunately. I noticed that near the train station was still nice. I also found Stuttgart's art museum was surprisingly nice and they had fun stadium tours. Happy Travels!

Posted by
813 posts

The Porsche museum and factory is in the NW part of Stuttgart, so I suggest you stay in in downtown. Look around the Schlossplatz for a hotel that meets your needs. It's a very safe area eventhough it's the center of town, Stuttgart is very safe. There's lovely architecture, people, parks, food, and other things too wander and see around the Schlossplatz and Marktplatz. Don't stay around the Porsche museum, there isn't much there to see.

Posted by
2394 posts

We stayed at the Achat hotel which is less than a quarter mile from the museum.