Please sign in to post.

train tickets

Hello

We are a family of 4 traveling from Italy to Salzburg to Munich to Frankfurt then return home , On train travel in Italy I have know I can just go to train station and get tickets fairly easily on regional trains, for the travel I know I absolutely needed I have already bought ( Florence to Venice and Venice to Salzburg) now Im looking at Salzburg to Munich and Munich to Frankfurt , if I do advance purchase will I save $ ? or can I just go to station and purchase tickets easily for same price and /or will they be available , do I need to be concerned about actually getting on ? Also I'm sort of thinking about if possible when leaving Munich and going to frankfurt wondering if it is possible to make a stop in Dachau and then proceed on ?? Thanks for any input. Sue

Posted by
19052 posts

For four people, a Bayern-Ticket is only 35€. It is an all day ticket for unlimited rides in the Bavaria fare zone. You can only use it on regional trains, any time weekends, after 9 AM on workdays. Regional trains take about 2 hours from Salzburg to Munich, about half an hour longer than express trains. There are no seat reservations for regional trains. During popular times they can be quite crowded, and you could have to stand, but if there is possibly room, they'll let you on. Regional trains from Salzburg to Munich start in Salzburg, so if you get there early, you would have a good chance of getting a seat.

Bayern-Tickets don't sell out; they are always available at the same price. You can purchase them anytime, right up to train time.

With advance purchase, you can get Saving Fare tickets for as low as 49€ for four adults. That's 19€ for the first adult, 10€ for each additional person over 14 yrs of age. So, if your group includes 2 children (14 or under), they travel for free (if included in the ticketing), and the ticket is only 29€. With express trains, you can reserve seats (9€) for a family reservation.

Savings Fare tickets can be a lot less expensive than full fare tickets so it is worth getting them if you want to travel on express trains (ICE, IC, EC). However, they are train specific; they can be returned for a penalty up to the day before travel, but not as of the day of travel.

The trip from Munich to Frankfurt takes a quite a bit longer with regional trains: you probably want to get advance tickets for an express train with reservations. Most ICEs, except for those that go through Nürnberg, stop in Pasing on their way out of Munich. Dachau Bahnhof to Pasing is a 22 min S-Bahn trip with a change in Laim.

Posted by
5697 posts

I wouldn't recommend a "stop" in Dachau on the way to someplace else -- it deserves its own day (or at least a half day) so you can reflect and recover. Easy short ride out from Munich on S-bahn.

Posted by
19052 posts

Dachau offers an English language guided tour at 11 AM. It takes 2½ hours. So if you get there early, and leave right after the tour, on the 1:46 bus, you'll get back to the Dachau S-Bahn station in time to catch the 2:09 S2 to the Hbf where you will have 14 min to get out of the S-Bahn station and go to track 23, picking up your luggage from the lockers of the end of track 26, then catch the 2:45 ICE to Frankfurt via Nürnberg, arriving there at 6:04 PM.

If you don't want to leave Dachau so soon, or be rushed picking up you luggage, there is another ICE leaving the Hbf at 3:47, getting to Franfkurt at 7:04 PM. Buses and S-Bahn run 3 times per hour, so you could stay another 40 min at the Memorial and still have over half an hour to get your luggage on the way to the ICE.

In 2009, I took the tour and left immediately afterwards, went back to the Hbf and picked up my luggage, then took the S1 to Freising to stay for the night before flying out the next day. It can be done. But then, I didn't sleep through history class, so I knew what to expect at Dachau and wasn't shocked.

Posted by
36 posts

Hello

So would I take the s bahn / bus to Dachau and then buy my ticket to frankfurt in dachau ? Or does the pass work for all except the bus portion in Dachau? I personally have been there before many many years ago , my kids arnt kids ( 19 and 24 and have been to holocaust museum in DC, so I think we could do this on the way to Frankfurt if I cant get my stay in Munich extended, Im going to try to change my hotel reservations . So if I dont Im trying to make sure I understand whats involved for transportation and time needed to do this successfully.

Posted by
19052 posts

"and then buy my ticket to frankfurt in dachau ?"

No, buy your ticket from Munich Hauptbahnhof in advance on the Bahn website, using advance purchase. Then buy MVV tickets to Dachau (S-Bahn and bus and back, Munich XXL Partner Tageskarte).

What pass? The Bayern-Ticket would cover your travel by S-Bahn and bus, but only by regional train to Kahl, near Frankfurt.

Posted by
36 posts

Lee. Thank you so much for your input, it got me going in the right direction . So after looking over the Bayern ticket site I think I,m understanding this correctly , I can get one of these passes for my train travel from Salzburg to Munich , correct ? Is it the cheapest way to go to Dachau and back to Munich if I can get my time extended there ? Thanks again Sue

Posted by
19052 posts

If you are just going from downtown Munich to Dachau and back, all you need is a München XXL Tageskarte (day ticket for the inner two zones). They cost 8,10€ for a Single (1 adult), 14,20€ for a Partner ticket (2-5 people). That ticket will cover the S-Bahn to Dachau station and the bus from there to the Memorial, round trip.