Please sign in to post.

Germany

Hi,

Trying to put together a fairly quick trip (7 days) Oktoberfest (Munich) last week of Sept. Can anyone recommend where to stay to be close to transportation? Plse & TY! Also travelling with 2 younger men 27 & 29 other than Munich would Vienna be fun? Or Prague? We would like to spend a day or 2 elsewhere other than just Munich.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Posted by
19091 posts

The transportation system in Munich is extensive. Almost anywhere is town is close to transportation.

Posted by
12040 posts

Plus, the majority of the stuff people travel to Munich to see is located in a relatively compact area, easily navigated on foot (for the most part). Theresienwiese, the large open space where they hold Oktoberfest, is a little outside the historic core, but easy to reach by public transportation.

I've stayed in Munich a few times, at a different hotel on each occassion. My favorite is Hotel Bayerisherhof by far, but don't even consider it unless you're traveling on an expense account. The best balance I've found between cost, comfort, service and location is Hotel an der Opera. As the name implies, it's very close to the National Theater, the Residenz, Marienplatz, Odeonsplatz and the southern tip of the Englischergarten. And, right around the corner from the Hofbräuhas.

If you're traveling during Oktoberfest, book your room ASAP.

Posted by
32198 posts

dee,

One of the closest hotels to Theresienwiese is Hotel Uhland (it's within easy walking distance), but I suspect they're already fully booked for Oktoberfest (although you can check their website). It's not exacty "close" to transportation (about a 12 minute walk to the Hbf) but still a convenient location.

For another location to spend a few days, you could also consider Salzburg. It's a beautiful and historic city.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks very much for all your help....will definitely be booking as soon as we have our flights booked! Thanks again!