Please sign in to post.

Neuschwanstein Castle

Has anyone taken Gray Line Tour 17? Where do they leave you off and just how steep is the climb to the castle? Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Donna

Posted by
242 posts

Donna, not familiar with Gray Line Tour 17, but after having walked up the hill to the castle, I wish I had taken transportation. Unless you are VERY fit, I wouldn't recommend the walk. However, there are rails on the side to pull yourself along if you do decide to walk it.

Enjoy your visit.

Bill

Posted by
4637 posts

The climb to the castle is quite steep and takes about half an hour to one hour depending on how strong is the hiker. If you want to avoid the hike there is a shuttle bus going from the big parking lot to Maria Bridge and from there it's a short walk downhill to the castle. I never heard about Gray Line Tour 17.

Posted by
32747 posts

I haven't been able to locate which is tour 17 but I have found a tour out of Munich called Neuschwanstein & Linderhof Royal Castle and Oberammergau Tour from Munich. Is that the one?

If so, all you get for your $70US is transportation, from what I read from their webpage. They say that they leave you at Neuschwanstein at about 1pm and pick you up 4 hours later. They say you’re free to enjoy approximately 4 hours to explore the castle. You have to pay the admission fee on top of their price. I can't see them dropping people off any closer than the main car park.

You do get to visit various other places in the long day. You could do just the castle much quicker and much faster, and not difficult, on your own by train from Munich. You can't miss the train stop, Fuessen is the last one, and going back Muenchen Hbf is the final one in that direction.

Posted by
32747 posts

I've just noticed that while they prominently advertise Oberammergau as part of the tour the detailed time line shows only a 30 minute stop - barely enough to use the toilet let alone see much of the very scenic town or visit some of the wood carvers.

They also expect a tip...

Posted by
295 posts

I haven't taken the Gray Line Tour 17 but I have been to the Neuschwanstein Castle many times. The walk is steep and all up hill and would take about a 1/2 hour. You do have two options to help get you to the Castle. One can take the shuttle bus. It drops you off above the castle and then its a short 10 minute walk down to the Castle. Or you can ride in a horse carriage. The carriage ride drops you off right below the entrance to the Castle about a 5 minute walk to the entrance. No direct option to the entrance but both of these options might help reduce the walking. I have done both. The shuttle is cheaper but the carriage is more memorable.

Posted by
242 posts

The time I went I thought about taking the carriage, but stupidness won over reason and I took the "hard road". Of course, it may also have been the sudden frightened eyes of the horses which seemed to say, "OMG!!! He's headed this way!!!!"

Thanks

Bill

Posted by
12040 posts

Am I the only one here who doesn't think the walk up to Neuschwanstein is particularly difficult? There is a set of stairs that one can take up from one of the parking lots, and that is quite steep. But the road is a relatively gentle up slope. I timed myself at my last visit and it took 18 minutes from where the carriages depart to the waiting area outside the castle. Without any mobility or heart conditions, it doesn't seem like it should pose any particular difficulties to an average adult.

Posted by
497 posts

We are very active so will definitely make the walk up. Thanks for that part Tom.

Posted by
19092 posts

No tour bus take you up to the castle. The parking lot for buses is down in the village of Hohenschwangau, where you buy your tickets. You can pay extra for an additional bus trip up to Marienbrücke and walk down to the castle or take the horse carriage up to near the castle and walk the rest of the way.

I agree with Tom, the walk up to the castle is not that bad, not if you are in any kind of shape. I did it at 57. My mother did it at 71. If you are worried about the walk up to the castle, consider this. On the tour you will climb several stories of narrow, steep staircases in the castle.

Posted by
328 posts

I also agree with Tom. The walk up to the castle isn't that bad. Chances are you will have a little extra time, so just slow down or take a break if you begin to feel winded. It's a lovely walk, too.