Please sign in to post.

"Nothing To Declare"

Is there a form for that in Germany, or does one just walk through? Sorry, but I have forgotten because the last two times I had to deal with customs for bringing a bass guitar gift each time. Even though it was a gift from my collection, I still had to pay a duty of almost 100 Euro....

Thanks

Bill

Posted by
19052 posts

I've arrived in Europe 10 times since Schengen and never had to fill out a form. I've just walked out through the lane marked "nothing to declase".

Posted by
16893 posts

My experience has been the same - just look innocent and stroll through the green door.

Posted by
12040 posts

If you enter with over €10,000 worth of currency, or a similar amount of commercial merchandise, yes, you must declare. Otherwise, just walk through.

... that's not tecnically accurate, because there's lots of other stuff that needs a declaration, but if you're posting on this board, I doubt you plan to transport hazardous materials, significant archeological or cultural relics, firearms, or the other sorts of things that require formal registration.

Posted by
32523 posts

Encouraging people to "look innocent and stroll through" without noting that declarable items must be declared could be seen as encouraging breaking of the law, something we take seriously at the Helpline.

The OP, Bill, did the right thing the previous 2 times by dealing with the Customs folk and paying the required Duty.

Posted by
9110 posts

There is no form. You make a defacto statement of having nothing to declare using the green line.

Every place in the world has importation restrictions of some kind. If in doubt, walk through the red line and ask. However, you ought to know the rules for where you're going. A heavy smoker or food toter could screw up pretty easily.

There is neither sin nor penalty for fessing up and then giving up or paying duty for your goods when you're in the red line. It can get ugly fast for strolling sinners in the green line.

Posted by
1064 posts

Looking back at the OP's question, this time he is not bringing anything in that he needs to declare at Customs. In other words, he IS innocent. So, "act innocent and stroll through" is sound advice.

Posted by
32523 posts

Looking back at the OP's question, this time he is not bringing anything in that he needs to declare at Customs

Where does it say that in his question?

Posted by
1064 posts

" Sorry, but I have forgotten because the last two times I had to deal with customs…" It sure sounds as if the situation is different this time. Don't read too much into "acting" innocent. Acting innocent is not always an act.

Posted by
242 posts

Thanks, all. I wanted to add a postscript to my story so that y'all wouldn't think I was out the duty cost. My friend kindly repaid me for the expense, but I really thought since they were gifts, one did not have to pay a duty. But I went home a happy boy, so all is well. And yes, I won't be bringing in any duty-able stuff this time. ;)

Thanks