Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Munich

Hello travelers,

I will be in Munich for about a week (Saturday -- Friday) for the Bavarian State Opera festival. The performances are on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings. I've been to Munich once before, and there are definitely things I wanted to see but wasn't able to. For those, I am thinking I will tackle on the performance days. On the 2 off-days (Monday and Wednesday), what would be some doable day-trips, keeping a home base in Munich?

I've been to Salzburg and don't really want to tackle the Ludwig castle crowds in the summer.

Thanks!

todd

Posted by
12040 posts

What time of year? And are you looking for just a nice place to visit, or some more rigorous activity?

Posted by
243 posts

I would definitely go to Dachau, by car or public transportation. If you like going to peaks you could go down to Garmsich-Partenkirchen and go up the Zugspitze- Germany's highest Beer Garden. Those are my suggestions. They both are a full days worth.

Posted by
516 posts

Regensburg is a wonderful day trip. About 1 hour from Munich.

Posted by
256 posts

To answer a few questions others have had, I won't have a car, so day trips would be by train or other public access.
I will be there in the middle of July

thanks!

Posted by
14507 posts

"On the two off days...."

Apart from Salzburg, which I don't tire of going back to, I would suggest Regensburg, as pointed out above, and Ulm and Augsburg. All three are well worth the time spent as day trips r/t.

Posted by
295 posts

I would also suggest visiting Dachau. Other easy day trips from Munich would be going to Andechs Monastery. Fine Baroque church in a rural Bavarian and it has a great beer garden. You can get there by bus. Or Berchtesgaden to see Hitler's Eagle nest. Berchtesgaden can be reached by train. All three can be done without a car.

Posted by
132 posts

My vote for a day trip from Munich would be the Andechs monastery (google it - well worth the visit).

Posted by
10218 posts

I've gone to both Dachau and Salzburg (not on the same day) from Munich via public transportation. They are both worth doing. Since the performances are in the evenings you could easily go to Dachau on one of the opera days.

Posted by
2903 posts

Hi Todd,

I like the Garmisch/Zugspitze suggestion and I'll add another suggestion, a trip to Mittenwald and the Karwendelbahn. Yes, the Zugspitze is a better trip I'm my opinion, but the Karwendelbahn is good, half the price of the Zugspitze and Mittenwald is beautiful.

Paul

Posted by
19092 posts

Andechs, "You can get there by bus."

Don't even try going by bus. Yes, you can, but the bus routes in the MVV are short. MVV shows connections taking 4 hours with 7 or 8 different buses. Take the S-Bahn to Herrsching. There is a bus connection from there to the Monastery.

Alternatively, you can go to Tutzing and by bus from there to Andechs.

Use the website for Munich metro to find connections.

Pushing the spam down

Posted by
635 posts

Take the S8 to the end of the line at Herrsching. It's a pretty walk from Herrsching of about an hour (uphill, about 3.5 km) through the forest to Andechs. When you get there you'll be ready for a lunch and a cold brew in the Bräustüberl. Take the #951 bus back down to Herrsching, then cruise around the Ammersee on one of the elegant steamships, some of them more than 100 years old. If you have time, stop off in the charming, authentic, non-touristy town of Dießen.

Photos here.

Posted by
321 posts

Hi Todd- you might try catching a train to Rothenburg (or Bamberg) Wednesday morning, staying overnight, and returning to Munich Thursday afternoon before the Thursday evening performance. If you want to travel light, you could keep your room in Munich or the Munich hotel would probably let you leave a bag there in storage if you are returning to the same hotel after the night away. The other choices you have left open were mentioned by Aly & Paul (Garmisch and the Zugspitz) and Jenn (Berchtesgaden- Eagles Nest and the Konigsee). Have a great trip!!!