Please sign in to post.

Gift ideas?

Not really a travel topic, but it involves our travel.

We're visiting Germany next Fall and in the course of our trip, we are invited to our friends' home near Kiel to help them celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. We would like to present them with a gift, but we'll be touring for about 2 weeks prior so it has to be able to be packed and carried.

Any suggestions for a unique gift from Americans to a German couple that would transport easily?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Posted by
20086 posts

How about a jug of 100% pure maple syrup. That is something that is not too common there, and particularly North American. Maybe in a metal can to avoid the unpleasant effect of breakage.

Posted by
8942 posts

Go for something that comes from Ohio and is typical for there. Native American items usually go over well. Perhaps something about the Mound Builders? Maybe something from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland that dates from 50 years ago to make it representative of their anniversary? Maybe even something Amish? Buckeye candy?

We can get real maple syrup in every grocery store in Germany. This is not a rarity anymore like it once was.

Posted by
8293 posts

Hey, they have 50 years worth of "stuff" ! They probably don't need more. Take them out for a blow-out dinner at the best restaurant you can find and buy the lady-wife a corsage.

Posted by
9420 posts

Norma's suggestion is brilliant! As the recipient, I would love that. A wonderful dinner out to celebrate is much better than more "stuff".

Posted by
74 posts

I too like the dinner out idea, but their anniversary is the last day before we fly back. But we still might be able to work something out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Posted by
20086 posts

I still like the idea of some type of consumable. I know, a fifth of Jack Daniels (or Makers Mark)!

Posted by
9420 posts

Sam, now I know what to get you for your 50th anniversary! For Norma, I'll take her out to dinner... : )

Posted by
8942 posts

Gosh Sam, you do know that one can buy those in Germany. Nothing special about that at all, and they may not like whiskey or even drink. If someone brought that to me for a gift, I would be rather sad, as would end up giving it away.

Posted by
332 posts

Something one of my mom's friends did for her for their 40th anniversary was a framed candid picture from their wedding. It really meant a lot to my mom. Or if you have a bunch of pictures of this couple, perhaps make a digital scrapbook. Shutterfly.com has this capability and the quality is great. Also buckeyes:) yum!! We took some Cheryles cookies over. They travel well, but we gave them early in our trip. Also since 50 is the golden anniversary perhaps something along that theme?

You might be able to ship something over to one of your hotels so you don't have to lug it around with you.

It sounds like a great trip!!!

Posted by
8942 posts

Darn you Susan, bringing up Cheryl's Cookies. I used to be a manager at their store in the French Market and over on Lane Ave. Best cookies ever!

Posted by
19 posts

One thing I've given as gifts is cans of tea from Republic of Tea. The design of the cans is really beautiful, and they offer unusual flavors, nothing off-the-wall, but not the usual either. Even if they don't drink tea, they could serve it to future guests. Tea also travels very well.