Please sign in to post.

Bavaria

Where's the best place to stay in Bavaria? It's just my wife and I.

Posted by
20086 posts

I might ask what is the best place to stay in Texas? Bavaria isn't quite as big as Texas, but it is the largest "state" in Germany and very diverse culturally and geographically. What are your interests? Big city, Alpine landscapes, vineyards, halftimbered villages, walled towns.

Posted by
94 posts

Lol! Fair statement Sam. We prefer Alpine landscapes, vineyards, or walled towns. We enjoy having an outdoor space. We'll be there in September. We like the countryside, castles, and the outdoors rather than museums and churches. Jim

Posted by
12040 posts

If you're looking for a base for Alpine excursions, consider Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Oberstdorf. Both are fairly attractive towns and offer easy acccess to several mountain hikes.

Southern Bavaria doesn't have a particularly high concentration of castles (other than the two most famous ones near Füssen). There's more in the middle and north of the state, particularly near the border with the state of Thüringen. Southern Bavaria has plenty of palaces, though.

Bavaria's wine region is much further north, in the valley of the Main river. As the others mentioned, Bavaria is the single largest Bundesland in Germany. The high mountains of the south are several hours away by train or car from the confluence of large towns near Frankfurt in the north. There really isn't one area that would provide a good base for the entire state, only bases for different regions.

Posted by
19092 posts

"We prefer Alpine landscapes, vineyards, or walled towns. We enjoy having an outdoor space. We'll be there in September. We like the countryside, castles, and the outdoors rather than museums and churches"

Alpine landscapes. Anywhere along the southern border of Bavaria, along the Alps, from the Oberallgäu (Oberstdorf) to Berchtesgaden.

Walled towns. One of the best, although a little touristy, is Rothenburg. Also visit Nördlingen. Maybe Dinkelsbühl. Kaufbeuren has some walls, although not complete. Also visit Donauwörth or Landsberg.

Castles. Visit Nürnberg, Würzburg, Burghausen. Neuschwanstein, although an icon, is not authentic. Hohenschwanstein, although authentic, is recent.

Bavaria is not a big wine region, although there are vineyards on the slopes of the Marienberg, in Würzburg.

Posted by
6637 posts

"We prefer Alpine landscapes, vineyards, or walled towns. We enjoy having an outdoor space. We'll be there in September. We like the countryside, castles, and the outdoors"

For vineyards, walled towns, countryside and castles, you should visit Franconia, in northern Bavaria. Würzburg is just one of many towns along the Main River and nearby that make up Franconian Wine Country.

Photos of the walled wine/artists town of IPHOFEN

Franconian Wine Country Tourism BROCHURE

Video travelogue for SOMMERHAUSEN, OCHSENFURT, & MARKTBREIT

The Füssen-area "castles" are late 19th-century palaces; for castles, northern Bavaria is a good choice. The GERMAN CASTLE ROAD passes through Rothenburg and other towns in the area.

And here is the TOURIST BOARD OF FRANCONIA website (which covers more than just the wine country.)

Posted by
19 posts

Like a previous poster said, I think it was Tom, if it's an Alpine adventure you're looking for then Garmisch is the place. If you have access to a car, or a tour company, you'll be able to hit Neuschwanstein Castle and Linderhoff Palace. Otherwise that whole area is just stunningly beautiful. My brother said it best when he said that once you get down there you'll want to burst into song.

Posted by
8 posts

I could give lots of advice, but like the reply from TX, I agree that Bavaria is huge and I would need more info. Having lived there > 5 years it's probably better for you to contact me directly if you need help. ruthcarlon@hotmail.com

Posted by
8942 posts

Ruth, they can contact you with a personal message. It is best to delete your personal email from this open forum. You open yourself up to lots of spam by posting that.