Hi, I'm planning a trip with my boyfriend to Upper Bavaria in early July. We are looking for a mix of hiking, sightseeing and good food/beer. We will be renting a car at Munich airport and returning when we arrive back in Munich. Do you have suggestions for our itinerary? I'm curious what the crowds will be like--we are from California and used to packed beaches and long restaurant lines, should we expect similar here? What times should we avoid driving for traffic?
Garmisch Partenkirchen (3 nights - Wed-Sat)
- Day 1: Pick up rental car in Munich, drive to Garmisch
- Day 2: Eckbauerbahn + Partnachklamm, dinner in Ettal/Oberammergau (will Partnachklamm be crowded on a weekday?)
- Day 3: Neuschwanstein + Hohenschwangau tours in AM (tickets booked in advance), Lake Forgenssee Boat Trip in PM
Prien am Chiemsee (2 nights - Sat-Mon)
- Day 4: Depart Garmisch, drive the Alpenstrasse Road to Chiemsee (stops: Mittenwald, Braeustueberl Tegernsee) - will there be lots of traffic on the drive from Garmisch to Chiemsee on Saturday?
- Day 5: Lake Day - Relax on beach, rent kayak/rowboat and picnic on island, maybe see Herrenchiemsee
Berchtesgaden (3 nights - Mon-Thurs)
- Day 6: Depart Chiemsee, drive to Berchtesgaden on Alpenstrasse Road, Salzbergwerk Salt Mine
- Day 7: Konigssee Boat Tour, Hike to Obersee + Rothbachfall, afternoon at Eagle's Nest
- Day 8: Day Trip to Salzburg - Walking Tour, Augustiner Brau (suggestions for concert venues?)
Munich (2 nights - Thurs-Sat):
- Day 9: Depart Berchtesgaden, lunch in Wasserburg am Inn, night out in Munich (suggestions for stops on way from B'gaden to Munich?)
- Day 10: Walking Tour, Viktualienmarkt, Hofbrauhaus
- Day 11: Departure Flight