Please sign in to post.

10 days in Germany

My husband has to travel for work in mid-November to Frankfurt/Wiesbaden area and I'm going along. It is our first time in Germany. We plan to fly into Frankfurt and stay in that area for a few days, probably roaming by myself for at least 2 days while he is at work during the day, and then spending an additional 7-8 days roaming the country, possibly flying out of Munich (but we are open to anything). Need ideas for things to do around Frankfurt/Wiesbaden possibly alone. We want to spend most of our time in Bavaria as it seems the most interesting to me, looking at Garmisch area for a few days, would like to see some things on the Romantic Road, possibly Heidelberg. We are both in our 30's and would like to spend a few days in each area, maybe visiting 3 major areas with day trips or visiting the local area at each one. We plan to rent a car, but would be open to train travel if I can figure it out. Would love ideas of how to spend our time. We are not big museum people, but otherwise enjoy seeing sites, enjoying culture, and eating! We want this to be somewhat of a relaxed trip, somewhat scheduled but with some room to move. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
20085 posts

My last few business trips to Germany, I quit renting a car and used the train when I realized it made life easier and saved my employer money. Since your ongoing plans are to head south toward Munich, you should take advantage by going north and exploring the Rhine gorge area while he is working. You can travel using a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket to go up and down the Rhine river by train. You must use only regional trains and travel after 9 am Monday to Friday (anytime weekends and holidays). Cost is 24 EUR when you buy the ticket out of a ticket machine, 26 EUR when you buy at a ticket window. This for trips going from Wiesbaden Hauptbahnhof, which while not actually in the state of Rheinland-Pfalz, is in the R-P network area.
Train schedules at: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Click on the "Local Transport Only" box to get trains that are valid for Rheinland-Pfalz tickets.

To get from the airport to Wiesbaden, use the RMV website to see ticket prices with various options for single journeys, day passes. RMV, Rhein-Main Verkehrsverbund (Frankfurt Area Transit Authority).
https://www.rmv.de/en/

Posted by
831 posts

Walking tours are an efficient way to see & learn about a new city. Much better than randomly wandering around. I would consider searching for one in each of the larger cities you visit.

I took a tour of London's financial district a few years ago. There were two young guys in the group who said their boss, at a large bank, had sent them on the tour to learn about the neighborhood. Great idea!