Please sign in to post.

10 day itinerary after the Berlin Marathon Sep 25 to Oct 5 2022

Hi, I am traveling solo and last minute planning. I've been on a whirlwind Eastern Europe trip in 2014, laying over in Berlin for a day before a week in Prague, Budapest, and Vienna, so I am thinking of staying this time within Germany, with the exception of Salzburg. I plan to travel by train or bus.
Here is my rough itinerary -
Sep 25: Run Berlin Marathon
Sep 26 : Berlin
Sep 27 : Berlin
Sep 28 : Potsdam (From Berlin) & Travel to/stay in Leipzig/Nuremberg (I have a friend in Leipzig)
Sep 29 : Nuremberg

Sep 30: Fussen
Oct 1 : Fussen
Oct 2 : Fussen to Salzburg
Oct 3 : Salzburg (? travel to/stay in Munich)
Oct 4 : Munich
Oct 5 : Fly out of Munich back to U.S.
Please share any tips on what to see or skip over, any specific recommendations for the day itinerary, and any helpful train/bus schedule and accommodation information (taking early train out of a city vs. late train into a city).
Thank you in advance!

Posted by
2303 posts

I would skip Fussen and spend those days in Salzburg. I assume you chose Fussen for Neuschwanstein. The Salzburg area has soooooo much more to offer than one castle that leaves many unimpressed: multiple palaces, a fortress, spectacular alps, Berchtesgaden, Hallstatt, Werfen (fortress & ice caves).

Posted by
2 posts

@travel4fun I was thinking of using Fussen as the base for the one castle and Garmisch...but agree, I heard Salzburg and surroundings can offer the same/similar attractions - just have to decide on which ones that are easily accessible by bus/train! For a more relaxed itinerary, I will consider eliminating Fussen!