Please sign in to post.

1 Day trip to Black Forest

Hello,

We are a group of 5 planning for 1 day trip on 15th July to Black forest. We will be travelling from Frankfurt to Freiburg or Gengenbach through ICE train early morning of 15th and are planning to return late night (around 22:00). We are not looking for Museums but hiking , so what are the best/must visit places in black forest we can cover in 1 day.
It would be great if you could help me in planning 1 day itinerary.

Thanks,
Anupam

Posted by
2308 posts

We are not looking for Museums but hiking

I that case I wonder why you aren't going to some forest closer to Frrankfurt like Taunus, Spessart, or Vogelsberg which all offer fine hiking opportunities. Just google.

Posted by
2376 posts

Consider Triberg, the cuckoo and waterfall town. There is the 'Schwartzbahn Erlebnispfad' hike

Posted by
3049 posts

Don't bother going that far. Plenty of hiking opportunities much closer. The black forest isn't knock your socks off amazing.

Posted by
6590 posts

I agree - the Black Forest is way too far. It would likely cost the 5 of you hundreds of dollars to get there and back.

For one of the most scenic hikes I know of, you can take the train instead to Bacharach in the Upper Middle Rhine Valley and hike a VERY scenic trail called the Rhine Castle Trail or "Rheinburgenweg." The medium-difficulty hike to Oberwesel takes about 4.5 hours.

Getting to Bacharach and back by train: A RMV day pass (group day ticket) for 5 adults costs €45 round trip from Frankfurt. Buy it from a ticket machine at Frankfurt station. The trip to Bacharach takes 1.25 - 1.5 hours.

You will also need a DB train ticket (€2.60 each) to cover the extra train segment (Oberwesel-Bacharach) on your return trip. Buy that at the station in Frankfurt as well.

Oberwesel's old town wall walk is interesting as well if you have the time.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Based on the suggestions I am considering either Taunus or Bacharach.

Thanks again for the valuable suggestions.

Posted by
32523 posts

or wander into the Odenwald and hike some boulders.