Please sign in to post.

Munich hotel?

The reviews of almost every hotel I've looked at in Munich have both excellent and terrible reviews and that is making it difficult for me to choose. Can anyone recommend a hotel that they have stayed at more than once (or have stayed at and known others who stayed there another time) that was consistently well liked?

Thanks!

Posted by
1288 posts

I have stayed at Hotel Uhland twice and really liked it. It is a walk (or u-bahn ride) to the main tourist areas, but very comfortable, great breakfast, etc. When you look them up on Trip Advisor, they have almost 750 Very good and Excellent reviews and 54 average, poor and terrible reviews. Of the 6 terrible reviews, most of them concern misunderstandings about cancellation policies and late check outs. (3 of them have an almost identical story about a late check out problem and they all stayed there in August 2010. Probably part of the same group) It is always good to read the negative and analyze the comments. In this case, I feel most of the terrible reviews the consumer was partly to blame or had a unique experience (perhaps a translation problem with arranging their late check out?).
Some tips:

1. Look at how many people "loved it" versus the complaints. No hotel is perfect and people are more likely to complain than to say "everything was fine". In Hotel Uhland's case, I think they have good numbers

2. Analyze the negative reviews. If you don't see a consistent "theme" (multiple complaints about cleanliness, safety issues, customer service, etc) than I factor that into my decision. No hotel can please every customer every time. Hotel Uhland's complaints were mainly about them sticking to their policies.

3. If you are looking at budget hotels EXPECT complaints. I have stayed at many hotels with complaints about amenities, size of the room or bathroom, etc. I have stayed in them and been completely happy because I know a budget room will not compare to a 4 to 5 star hotel. That doesn't mean they aren't clean, comfortable, and a good value for the money. People who want 5 star treatment need to stay in 5 star hotels.

I hope you find a great hotel that meets your needs and budget and have a great stay in Munich.

Posted by
16167 posts

Connie summed it up well. Everyplace will have a few bad reviews; you need to consider whether (a) the reviews are legitimate (not fake), and (b) if legit, whether the fault complained of is something that matters to you.

Why don't you mention some hotels that have interested you, and people who have stayed there can advise you? Or we can look at the reviews and give feedback.

Posted by
36 posts

Good idea! I am looking at the Hilton Munich airport, the Bayerischer Hof in Friesing, or the Hotel Uhland near the Munich city center.

In addition to reviews, here is my other dilemma: I get stressed about travel time on flying days. We will be leaving Danube river cruise on Friday morning and flying out of Munich around noon on Saturday. We want to spend the day in Munich, but I am not sure about hauling our luggage via train the morning we leave.... I was thinking it might work to take train from Deggendorf to airport Hilton, drop our bags, spend day in Munich, possibly check out Freising (or stay there as the hotel has a shuttle to the airport) and then spend the night at the airport so the morning isn't stressful. We are not 'nightlife' folks so I'm not sure if there is an added benefit to booking a hotel in Munich center....

Thanks in advance again!

Posted by
175 posts

Elizabeth,
We just stayed at the Pension Lindner for 4 nights and highly recommend it. The location is perfect and you are able to walk most places. Nice rooms, delicious breakfast and Marion is very helpful. Would definitely go back.

Posted by
4375 posts

I think it's also important to look at reviews chronologically. You can easily see if a good place has gone bad or vice versa, so a place that used to get low reviews but now gets only good ones is worth considering.

As noted look at what the reviews are really saying. There's a difference between the rooms are small, the neighborhood is sketchy and everyone I know got food poisoning at each meal.

Posted by
8339 posts

Munich City Center Hotel is great. It has an entrance directly from the subway station and is just 2 stops from the train station and has multiple lines going to the airport from its station as well. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Right now the Hilton Summer Sale has the rooms for a particularly reasonable price.

We had a room price that included our breakfast and were absolutely glad that we did. I have yet to see another breakfast spread like the one put out at this hotel. Table after table of food for every culture and taste. There are very few hotels I would pay extra for breakfast for . This is one of them.

Posted by
1203 posts

I stayed at the Hotel am Viktualienmarkt and I also stayed right near by the Hotel Blauer Bock. Both were on RS tours. Both were near each other and in excellent location and great breakfasts. I would stay at either one again.

Posted by
15787 posts

We stayed at Bavaria Boutique Hotel and loved it. Like Hotel Ulhand, it's a bit of a hike from the old center but not hard to manage by public transit if you're not much of walker (we are big walkers). We had a very nice room with a balcony (requested), and the hotel has a pleasant enclosed terrace for enjoying libations from the bar at night or your breakfast (included in the tariff) in the morning. Oh, and breakfast was outstanding: the best we'd had on our 3-week trip. Friendly, helpful staff, and not one single thing we found lacking other than maybe distance from center....which didn't bother us a bit. Would choose it again, no question, and it gets very good reviews.

Editing to add: I would suggest taking a cab from/to Hauptbahnhof with luggage.

Posted by
16167 posts

Elizabeth, given the concerns you express, the hotel in Freising with a shuttle to the airport would probably be most comfortable for you. Freising itself has been recommended to me as a great place to stay the night before a morning flight from Munich.

Hotel Uhland is quite a long walk from the train station for S-Bahn transport to the airport, especially with luggage.

Posted by
36 posts

Great input! Thanks!
One last question - how early should we make reservations? We are not going until April...I'm just really excited! :)

Posted by
7209 posts

You should make reservations as soon as you know when you're going to be there. If you not sure of your dates then be sure to book a refundable/changeable rate at the hotel.

I've been to Munich several times and always stay at the Hotel am Viktualienmarkt because it has a good location, clean rooms, nice inclusive breakfast and doesn't break the bank. If had more money to spend I would choose the Platzl or the Hotel Torbrau. All of these hotels are located in the old city center - not at the seedy train station although some people don't mind the seediness.

Posted by
3 posts

We stayed at Marc München in April last year and it was great. Very convenient to the trains and excellent breakfast. We recently stayed at Blauer Bock as part of a BoE in 14 days tour. The location is fantastic and the hotel was very nice but Munich was going through a heat wave and there was no air conditioning. That made for some long nights.

Posted by
416 posts

We just stayed at the Pension Lindner for 4 nights and highly recommend it. The location is perfect and you are able to walk most places. Nice rooms, delicious breakfast and Marion is very helpful. Would definitely go back.

We are also staying there for 4 nights in September! We're quite fussy eaters, what did they have on the buffet?

I am pretty tall and I'm really hoping that we don't get a bed with a footboard... otherwise I'll never be able to stretch out. Lol. I've seen pictures of the rooms, and I notice that some beds have the footboard and others don't.