Please sign in to post.

Munich airport lodging

The last reservation we need to make is for our last night before flying home. We would like to stay near the airport, maybe turn in our car the day before, and then maybe there would be an airport shuttle. Any suggestions? Husband wants to spend $100 or so.

Posted by
4858 posts

I think most people would dump the car and stay in Munich for the last night, taking the Sbahn to the airport in the morning.

However if you want to stay outside the city near the airport, try looking at what booking.com has. Filter for your dates, price range and then look at what shows up on the map near the airport. I think your price point will eliminate a lot of the chain hotels and the ones right at the airport. But I did see a couple in Halbergmoos that are in your price range.

Posted by
16265 posts

What time is your flight? That may determine how close you need to be to the airport.

Posted by
8142 posts

You could stay close to the train station in Munich, and take the underground out to the airport.

But the Novotel Munich Airport is in the airport property, and it's the closest to the S bahn station. It's not an expensive property either.

Posted by
9 posts

We don’t leave really early but will have been traveling 3 weeks and think we might be exhausted but having just said that why should we just stay in the city for one last night! So maybe should see about places for that price in the city.

Posted by
16265 posts

Where do you turn in the car?

I recall there is at least on forum member who likes to stay in a small town very close to the airport on the last night of the trip. They make it sound pleasant. I cannot recall the name, but it might be Freising. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Posted by
9 posts

The car is rented at the airport. I hope they jump on this question because I’m discouraged looking at places in town. They have jumped way up in price for September, maybe because Oktoberfest will be starting soon. Looking for 1 night Sept 21st. I’ll check the town you were thinking you remembered. Thanks

Posted by
87 posts

The Hilton Munich airport hotel was perfect for our last night before flying home -great quality and convenient.
unfortunately it’s above the price range you are looking at but thought I’d mention it.

Posted by
1288 posts

Oktoberfest will be going by September 21st and hotels in the area will be expensive. I am departing Sept 30 and had the same problem. My plan was to keep the car, book a hotel in Landshut and drive to the airport to depart. The way my car rental was, it really wasn't much cheaper to drop the car the night before. I settled on the Landshut for 83 euros a night. (it look more expensive for your night)

https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/ibis-landshut-city.html?aid=304142&label=postbooking_confemail&sid=35aa990088daae7b33be3460142d88c1&all_sr_blocks=441077002_131896467_2_2_0;checkin=2023-09-21;checkout=2023-09-22;dest_id=4410770;dest_type=hotel;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=1;highlighted_blocks=441077002_131896467_2_2_0;hpos=1;matching_block_id=441077002_131896467_2_2_0;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_children=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;sr_pri_blocks=441077002_131896467_2_2_0__10800;srepoch=1682548005;srpvid=0cd19dd13aba007b;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl

In the end, we decided we needed to stay in Munich to enjoy the city for a day. So we booked a 175 euro hotel in Ottobunn (in the city circle but requires a bus and subway to get to the heart of town).

Landshut looked like a wonderful smaller city and was about 30 minutes to the hotel with a car.

Posted by
19092 posts

Besides the two S-Bahn lines coming out of Munich, there is now a regional train that comes directly into the airport S-Bahn station. It starts in Regensburg and goes to the airport without any changes. Here is the route for that train. So, you can pick any station on that route and look for reasonable accommodations there.

Posted by
2320 posts

I’ve been researching Munich airport hotels for an upcoming trip where we arrive in the evening and pick up a rental car from the airport the next morning. I’ve found very few area hotels offer shuttles. They were discontinued during the pandemic. They will refer you to the local bus, or advise you to take a taxi (20€ avg). We’ve decided that it’s worth the convenience to stay at the Hilton.

I’ve read good things about the town of Freising, near the airport. I would check the Bayerischer Hof.

Posted by
19092 posts

Bayerischer Hof or another place in Freising would be a choice for me, but around Oktoberfest time, I think they might be expensive or booked. There is a 20 min bus from Freising Bhf to the airport. I've done that twice.

Posted by
16265 posts

Looking at the S-Bahn journey time from Freising to the airport in 11 minutes, Freising must be the twin close to the airport I was thinking of. During Oktoberfest, the nightly price for the Bayerischer Hof varies widely, depending on the date, from $164-$174.. Those are booking.com prices, but of course you should book direct.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks everyone. We’ve ended up at Movenpick in Hallbermoos.

Posted by
2025 posts

Just in case you change our mind, or for anyone else looking, we stayed at Ibis Budget Munich Airport Erding back in December. We had a very early morning flight so took a taxi out to the airport the night before. We had two rooms there, and the total for that was $119 US dollars. Yes, total, for two rooms. It was very clean and the staff was very helpful. They arranged a taxi for us at na ungodly hour in the morning. Granted, there is nothing of interest nearby, but it served our purpose and the price was right.

Posted by
19092 posts

Looking at the S-Bahn journey time from Freising to the airport in 11 minutes

I don't see a direct S-Bahn from Freising to the airport in 11 minutes. There are hourly regional trains coming from Regensburg, stopping in Freising, then going on to the airport station in about that amount of time. The S1 line coming out from Munich splits in Neufahrn, with one end of the train going to Freising and one end going to the airport. You can take the S1 going back to Munich from Freising to Neufahrn, change there to the S1 coming out of town and get on the end going to the airport. That trip, with the change, takes over a half hour.

There are buses from Freising Bhf to the airport every 20 minutes. They take about 20 minutes.

Posted by
19092 posts

An MVV zone 5 ticket will be valid for either the bus to the airport or the regional train coming from Regensburg, stopping at the Freising Bhf and going to the airport, but you would have to use a ticket machine unless you bought it from the bus driver, in which case you might as well use the bus.

A bus leaves the bus slip in front of the Bhf at 2 minutes past the hour and will be the next conveyance to get to the airport. The regional train should leave the Freising Bahnhof at 20 minutes past the hour, and will be the next one to the airport, getting there before the next bus which leaves at 22 minutes past. So unless you are at the station, with your ticket, between 2 and 20 minutes past the hour and can take the regional train, you might as well take the bus.

Posted by
245 posts

I enjoyed visiting Weihenstephan, the world's oldest brewery in Freising the night before and then driving to the airport. Easy and a great finale to the trip.

Posted by
1943 posts

The S-Bahn only took about 40 minutes from Central Munich to the airport.

I'd always stay in Munich just because of the S-Bahn. Wish we had something like that in the US.

Posted by
19092 posts

The S-Bahn only took about 40 minutes from Central Munich to the
airport.

Taking the bus from Freising Bhf to the airport only saves about 20 min v-v the time from an S-Bahn station in town, but sometimes getting to the station in town can take time.

The last time I left from downtown Munich, the walk to the station would have been less than 500 yds, about 5 minutes. Because of our luggage, my partner wanted to take a taxi. The taxi actually took 8 minutes because it had to loop around and go a mile on the one-way streets. The last place I stayed in Freising is a 5 minute walk to the Bhf.

Posted by
16265 posts

Heather, the problem with staying in Munich, for them, is the cost of lodging in the city. They will be there during Oktoberfest and hotel prices are very high. And many will not take a reservation for only one night.

Posted by
9 posts

Yes, a lot of it was the price because of Oktoberfest starting. We are staying overnight in Munich on 9/11 at a place that is $93 but I checked on it for the 21st and it was about $400.

Anyway, we have made our reservations and appreciate all the help that has been given on both lodging and transportation to and from the airport. We will have to report back after the trip. Thanks again!

Posted by
155 posts

I would spend the extra money and stay at the Hilton Airport in Munich. After traveling for several weeks you will enjoy the luxury stay and convenience of being so close to your gate. It's a great way to top off a great trip, that's what we've figured out over time.
Happy travels!

Posted by
5 posts

I would keep car and stay in lovely nearby town of Landshut - fab walking town w/river, great cafes/bars and restaurants. Then it is just a short drive to Munchen airport.